Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mike 90 posts 258 karma points
    Feb 27, 2015 @ 20:12
    mike

How do you give access to your clients?

I am new to umbraco and have started using v7 for a clients site.  I am at the point now where I need to set up the admin side for them but I dont want them to see everything, just the parts that they need to edit.

Do you make your own templates for admin area and then create code for them to update with API or do you modify/restrict the existing admin.

The client is a non-technical user that needs things as simple as possible.

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Feb 27, 2015 @ 20:24
    Sören Deger

Hi Mike,

you must separate the two login types: Umbraco Users for the cms umbraco backend or Members for a password protected frontend.

You can settingsyour backend users in the user section of umbraco. And you can setting your members in the members section of umbraco.

Here is a short introduction for members. It's described with umbraco 4 or 6, but the basics are the same as in umbraco 7:

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Backoffice-Overview/Members/

Best,

Sören

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 27, 2015 @ 20:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

You can restrict what areas the users can see.

Depending on what type of user you need to give access you should consider to restrict the sections they can access.

Even though Umbraco comes with some predefined user types but usually you want to define your own "Administrator" type for your clients editors.

So for instance your clients editor matrix could look like this (from high level to low level)

Administrator - Can access "Content", "Media" and "Users". Editor - Can access "Content" and "Media" Writer - Can access "Content"

When you got your user types set you can define what operations they can do on the "Type" level like "Update", "Create", "Publish" etc.

Then you can set specific permissions for each user so you can override allowed operations and then restrict access to certain branches in your content tree. For instance it's possible to give the user browse access but they won't be able to edit the page but just navigate to a certain branch of pages where they can then create content etc. for instance. There are really many opportunities - But try to keep it simple since it can be hard to change things and keep an overview of the changes etc. - But in short this means that you can hide certain node branches be removing the "Browse node" on a specific branch of nodes.

In the "Users" folder you can of course create users and select their type and then you can also define a specific start node for the user in both the "Content" and "Media" section.

I hope this answers your question and makes sense.

/Jan

• mike 90 posts 258 karma points
    Feb 27, 2015 @ 21:49
    mike

Thanks for the replies.

@Sören

So you build a members area and then use the management API in your own code to allow client to update site?  I like this idea as I can keep the design of the admin panel consistent but it seems like a lot of work to implement everything.  Are there any shortcuts?  For instance umbraco admin has nice content tree for content editing and various features.  Is there a quicker was to add this functionality to memebers area rather than coding the entire thing from scratch?  Can I pull in the admin controls directly to my own page?

@Jan

Doing with a user seems the simplest answer but I cannot see how to get fine grain control in anything that is not content.  For instance I can select individual permission for a content page for client user but If I want him to be able to create members but not membertypes (or even see membertypes) how can I do it?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 28, 2015 @ 06:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

Unfortunately the permission integration is not perfect and it's not possible to restrict access to folders in the different sections I'm a afraid. I'm not sure about how to do it I'm afraid.

As far as I know there is no API for users so you could create your own admin area where it would be possible for them to create only members. So you may need to simply instruct them to NOT touch the other folders in the member section. But I know that's probably no guarantee that a user won't mess things up...but high level users should be able to understand it I think - At least I've had success explaining this to some high level admin users when working with local governments in the past.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft