Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vitaly Vasilega 62 posts 184 karma points
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 07:28
    Vitaly Vasilega

I want to develop a taxonomy module

Hello everyone!

I want to develop a taxonomy module for our project, since I could not find a ready-made counterpart.

The module will be of a tree of elements with any number of levels.

For example:

1) Locations (group):

Europe:

Austria

Belgium

North America:

USA

Canada

2) Languages (group):

Arabic

Bengali

Cantonese

How can I better organize this module?

I want:

1. Control module structure of the CMS, but also I should be able to get the data in the code .cs (where and how to store the structure?)

2. I need a new Data Type, in which I will be able to choose a group (Locations or Languages) as well as to specify whether it is multiselect. (I already have experience in creating its Data Type, but I do not know where and how to store and how to organize the structure of group selection.)

3. When I create a new page that hosts the Data Type, I should be able to show the user a tree structure (Europe:Austria,Belgium,...  North America:USA, Canada ), as well as give an opportunity to choose one or more elements.

I will be glad of any information, how to write a module.

Thanks.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 08:32
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Vitaly,

If you are using Umbraco 4 or Umbraco 6, you should take a look at this new package delveoped by Morten Bock called Taxonomy Picker https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/taxonomypicker.

And if you are using Umbraco 7, I think you need to build your own property editor, but maybe you can get some inspiration from MortenĀ“s package.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Mar 05, 2015 @ 09:20
    Vitaly Vasilega

Hi Dennis,

I use umbraco 7.2

I saw this plugin to 6.x and was surprised that there is nothing similar to 7.x.

Thank you.

Mar 05, 2015 @ 11:24
    Vitaly Vasilega

Ask additional questions:

1. Better to create a custom section (Taxonomy like Content, Media, Setting) and to keep the whole structure in a custom table or create a Property Editor and save the entire structure as a JSON object?

2. If I choose custom table, I can easily get all the structure using an SQL query. Can I get a JSON object from a Property Editor, knowing his name?

3. How to make a similar list in the right window, but for my data?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 11:29
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Vitaly,

You could take a look at the Categorisation package?

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/categorisation-for-umbraco

I believe it was built for Umbraco v4/v6, but the source-code is available on the project page - if you wanted to use that as a starting point?

Cheers,
    - Lee

Mar 05, 2015 @ 13:08
    Vitaly Vasilega

Hi Lee,

Thanks, I will look at how this plugin.

But you do understand that a lot has changed in version 7, especially working with the UI.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft