Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 01, 2015 @ 05:03
    Nicholas Westby

Advanced Formatting of Package Overview?

Some packages seem to be using advanced formatting that isn't available in the rich text editor when typing the overview for a package. For example, there are links on this package, though the rich text editor doesn't show a way to add links: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/seo-checker

Links in Text

When I use the rich text editor for my package, I only see very basic formatting options (e.g., no links):

Minimal Formatting Options

Is there some sort of non-obvious way of adding extra formatting (e.g., maybe it's a hybrid WYSIWYG editor that also supports markdown)?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 01, 2015 @ 09:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nicholas

Yes there is a very non-obvious way - As far as I recall from dealing with the editor when creating packages and events on this site the rte field seems to accept and parse HTML. So if you write some quick markdown in another editor and grab the generated HTML source from there and paste it into the RTE you should be able to have a nicer looking package overview.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Richard Soeteman 4036 posts 12864 karma points MVP
    May 01, 2015 @ 09:52
    Richard Soeteman

Use word and paste the things in, that's what I did :)

May 01, 2015 @ 16:34
    Nicholas Westby

Jan, I tried pasting in some HTML and it didn't seem to work (it treated it as text). Perhaps I misunderstood you.

However, Richard's suggestion seemed to work for the most part. I used LibreOffice Writer to insert a link and change the bold pseudo-headers to actual H2 tags. I had to use the Chrome inspector after pasting it in though... there were some extra classes and inline styles getting added, which I removed.

Looks better now: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/robotnik

Robotnik Overview with Advanced Formatting

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 01, 2015 @ 19:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nicholas

Hmm. I think you got me right - I just vaguely remember that I did some HTML stuff when I needed to style something a little differently - But don't know if an update to the forum has been applied since that time, but all I remember is that I did not use word - But as long as the approach Richard used is working it's good :)

Don't know if it's possible to format a link in word somehow so the text holds a reference to the link instead of the text being the link...it's been a while since I've used word :)

/Jan

May 01, 2015 @ 20:08
    Nicholas Westby

Yeah, there is a way to insert a link in LibreOffice Writer that has text that is different than the URL. Thanks for the help both of you.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft