Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Jul 15, 2015 @ 09:32
    Tony Groome

What's the best way to deploy an Umbraco project?

Hi All

I built an intranet in WebMatrix and need to deploy it on our server. Is there a step by step guide anywhere? What's the best way to do this? I've tried many and can't get it to work. I tried to publish from WebMatrix using a publish profile generated by iis8 on the server. Using this the server can't be found! Is there an easy way?

Thanks. Tony

• James 251 posts 1169 karma points
    Jul 15, 2015 @ 11:44
    James

Hello,

There are multiple ways to do this. If you can browse to the C:\ of the server from your development environment then simply copy the files into the new web directory and restore a database from a .bak file.

You can create an FTP site on IIS like so :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831655.aspx

Once you have this use a client like FileZilla to login to the FTP and transfer your files to the server (zipped if need be). Then copy them into the web directory.

Just like when developing locally you need to ensure that your website directory has the correct permissions assigned to it (App Pool).

Also change your web config file to contain the new connection string to the database.

Hope this helps.

J

• Ryios 122 posts 263 karma points
    Jul 15, 2015 @ 21:57
    Ryios

In my opinion, the best way is to build your site in Visual Studio with the UmbracoCms nuget package.

Then use MSDeploy to deploy it to your server by setting up a Publishing Profile in your visual studio project.

Then you can combine that with TFS, VisualSVN, or GitHub source control integration so you never lose your source code and you can easily deploy it to 1 or multiple servers, e.g. "Dev/Staging, and Production".

To move content around though you either need to have all the sites use the same database, or buy something like Courier to allow you to deploy content from one site to another.

It should be easy to create a project in visual studio and move over what you have already done.

All you've probably changed aside from the normal umbraco stuff is some MVC Views or ASPX files, some CSS files, and Some Javascript.

In short if you copy over your Views in the Views folder, your css/js and your media folder that should be just about everything you built and everything else is in the content database which you can move over with a .bak as said above.

Jul 16, 2015 @ 08:12
    Tony Groome

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for your responses. I broke the server yesterday (luckily its only a test one!) So hopefully it will be back today or tomorrow. .Net wasn't installed properly so I uninstalled it and after it did updates it lost a dll file and now it's given up! All for a simple intranet!!

Tony

Jul 22, 2015 @ 10:59
    Tony Groome

Hi All

Finally got this sorted. IIS wasn't installed correctly, so when I uninstalled it the server lost its gui. Once that was all sorted the site just worked. I had already copied it to the wwwroot folder and set the site up as the default site with the app pool set to v4.0 integrated. I just had to publish the site to get all the pages working!

Hope this helps somebody else that this happens to.

Tony

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft