Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alan Swan 4 posts 74 karma points
    Nov 19, 2015 @ 11:15
    Alan Swan

Publishing from Visual Studio 2013

I have a site that I have been developing on my local machine using visual studio 2013, and have an account with a hosting provider, which gives me a visual studio publish profile.

I have used this publish profile to publish my site to their servers. I'll call this the live site.

My business partner has been updating the cms, adding pages/content to the 'live' site. At the same time, I have been developing the codebase further on my local machine.

As far as I understand it, the umbraco.sdf file in the app_data folder holds all the content that my business partner is adding. Is this the only thing I need to be aware of in terms of umbraco cms?

What is the best way for me to publish through visual studio without affecting the cms content which is being written into the 'live' site. I have found this document - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2010/04/22/web-deployment-excluding-files-and-folders-via-the-web-application-s-project-file.aspx - will this suffice, or do I need to be doing something else? I was thinking of replacing File1.apsx;File2.aspx with Umbraco.sdf.

I'm just taking a backup of the live site now - but wondered if there was a guide I was missing, or if anyone has any best practice for this?

Obviously, this won't just be an issue now. I will need to know how best to update the codebase without affecting any changes made on the cms side, many times in the future.

• Olivier 22 posts 115 karma points
    Nov 19, 2015 @ 17:15
    Olivier

Hi,

on the live environment, the defaultconnection should have priority on your db connection ... So his data should be safe.

I use the publish tool and I exclude "app_data" folder and I uncheck "remove file at destination".

You need to use Umbraco Courier 2 in order to sync or you need to add manually document type on prod. Don't forget to add dictionnary too.

After that, your publish should do the rest.

Nov 20, 2015 @ 11:34
    Alan Swan

OK, i'm not sure i'm following 100% here.

My connection string (i'm assuming on both sites - dev/live) is

So the sdf file, unless prevented, will be replaced when I publish?

Is this prevented by excluding appdata folder and uncheck "remove file at destintaion? Can I ask exactly how you exclude appdata folder? Does the method I mention in my original post do the trick?

I don't understand where umbraco courier 2 comes in?

Nov 20, 2015 @ 11:35
    Alan Swan

Sorry, forgive my lasyness, i've just checked out umbraco courier 2 This would be if I have uploaded any new document types or content myself on the dev site (backend end cms)

Thanks.

If anyone could just clarify on my previous post, that'd be great.

Nov 21, 2015 @ 14:17
    Alan Swan

bump

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft