Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Dec 06, 2013 @ 12:05
    Martin Griffiths

What "legacy" coding methods survive U7

There's been a fair amount of talk around JSON in U7 which has confused me somewhat.

Our main corporate sites have gone through considerable upgrade cycles since we first created them in U4.0.4.2. In that time we've gone through an XML schema change to dynamic razor to strongly typed MVC. 

For us we've converted all of our templates to typed MVC and replaced our user controls with MVC partials but all of our XSLT remains as it would take a huge effort to re-write it. Eventually we'll take the plunge but i'd rather keep it going for as long as it's possible. 

So my questions are, do we need to change any code if we move to U7 in the future? Does XSLT compatibility remain? Can we continue to use our built in datatypes and expect to get the same data results back as before? And how much longer will XLST be supported (if it still is).

Martin.

• Comment author was deleted

Dec 06, 2013 @ 13:23

Xslt remains, but third party datatypes need to be updated since they can't be .net contrlols anymore, but you can also make sure that the data provided to xslt is the same. For more details on creating custom ones please check out http://www.nibble.be/

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 15:59
    Per Ploug

Datatypes can return json / a dynamic object, xslt will remain, a new cache is planned which will combine all these efforts into one unified cachelayer.

For legacy sites, if you use the core datatypes, your site implementation should remain the same, as its the same data returned by the new types and xslt syntax / libs / etc has not changed.

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 16:41
    Martin Griffiths

Thanks for the info. Per, are there any core datatypes incomplete or missing?

M.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 09:40
    Per Ploug

not data-wise, they store the same data - the mntp is missing a couple of settings, like setting its root node with xpath.

The only missing datatype is the imagecropper, which is slated for 7.1 - since that is part of a bigger media library upgrade

• Dan Okkels Brendstrup 101 posts 197 karma points
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 14:46
    Dan Okkels Brendstrup

Turned out to be a valid concern, as quite a few third-pary datatypes (and a few of the built-in ones) save JSON to the db and the XML cache, which can't be used in XSLT.

The umbraco.library:JsonToXml extension helps for individual datatypes, but it won't provide a fully XPath-queryable content cache. My colleague Kenn has submitted pull request #588 to address the issue and automatically convert JSON to XML in the content cache, to fully support XSLT-rendering of all datatypes (while retaining Razor support).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft