Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew 93 posts 153 karma points
    Dec 08, 2013 @ 03:40
    Matthew

Is it safe to go live with a small production site?

I'm just an implementor, I wouldn't have more than some Razor in this site and I doubt it would ever grow past maybe 50 pages.  I've never been an early adopter of anything but v.7 looks like v.6, just with a much prettier face.  Is there anything functionally wrong with v.7?  Would I be better off going with v.6 and migrating to v.7 in say a year?  If v.7 is mostly cosmetic though, I could convince myself it's mature enough already.

Advice?

Matthew

• David Zweben 266 posts 750 karma points
    Dec 08, 2013 @ 15:03
    David Zweben

There are some bugs in 7.0, but you will be able to upgrade your installation once these are addressed. As long as v7 offers everything you need as far as add-ons are concerned, I don't see any reason to avoid it. It's not a mostly cosmetic upgrade, there were some major changes, but I think this is actually a reason to start with 7, because it's going to be harder to upgrade from v6 to v7 than it would be just to start with 7 and do some little point upgrades.

Regards,
    David

Dec 08, 2013 @ 22:07
    Matthew

Thanks much for the feedback, David.  I don't think I'll need any add-ons for this one.  I started a project about a year ago when v.6 was first out and decided to stick with v.4 for the maturity and support..  Also, v.6 sounded kind of like a transition release and v.7 was the real goal.  Looking at the amazing amount of work done on both versions, at the very least I have to say the Umbraco team is not only prolific but also focused, organized and well directed.  What v.5...

Looking at how much stuff is still being worked on in v.6, you'd have to be at least a bit concerned that a v.7 attempt now could make a client a bit crabby but I guess I'll have to put it up to them, go with the more ironed out v.6 or the more wrinkly v.7.  Intuitively, v.7.0.1 looks like a reasonable place to start to me but then I'm tolerant of bugs and work-arounds.  Waiting for v.7.1 is not an option for this schedule.

Anyone else have an insider scoop on what the feeling is from the core team?  This is a really basic site but will have just plain folks adding the content, so the end user experience needs to be fundamentally sound.

Thanks again.

Matthew

• David Zweben 266 posts 750 karma points
    Dec 08, 2013 @ 23:15
    David Zweben

At this point I think it depends on the specifics of the project, the timeline, and the type of client you have. I didn't think of this earlier, but there is one major reason you might not want to go with v7: there is no image cropper yet. It didn't make the 7.0 release, and I don't think it's planned for 7.0.1 either. That could be problematic for some projects.

If you do start with v6, you may want to try holding off on the use of any 3rd party data types (now called property editors) as long as possible, because 3rd party ones are not compatible between v6 and v7, so if you can limit your use of custom ones, it will make upgrading much easier.

As for an 'insider scoop', I'm not sure there is much of one to have; the core team doesn't seem to keep much secret. You can get an idea of what is being planned by looking at the Umbraco download page and following the version number links, where there are good overviews of what's planned for that release.

Hope this helps,
    David

Dec 09, 2013 @ 00:39
    Matthew

I hadn't noticed the missing image cropper and now that you've mentioned it, I don't see it slated even for v.7.1, which has yet to get a release date.  I don't think I'll need one at this point but that is/was one of the cool tools.  Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for something.

I did look at the download page, that's what made me think v.7.0.1 was worth considering.  Much as I hate to be an early adopter, I think I have to give it a try.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your perspective.

Matthew

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft