Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alexandru 112 posts 272 karma points
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 09:32
    Alexandru

Upgrade 6.1.5 to 7

Hello, I have just finished work on a Blog based on the blog starter kit from Umbraco 6.1.5.

I would now like to try and upgrade to v7. Is there any step by step guide I can follow? I have tried manually recreating it but it turns out is really time consuming and I might not be able to use the same database connection.

Any suggestions?

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 09:47
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 09:51
    Alexandru

Yeah, I know about this one. It's not really a step by step guide and since I have never attempted an upgrade, not even from 6.1.5 to 6.1.6 I am totally clueless as to how to do it.

It even says there: "This document should be used as a reference, not a step by step guide."

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:11
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

I think that upgrading from v6 to v7 is a big step. Read this part:

"Legacy property editors (pre v7) will not work with Umbraco v7. During the upgrade installation process Umbraco will generate a report showing you which legacy property editors are installed, these will all be converted to a readonly Label property editor. No data loss will occur but you'll need to re-assign your existing data types to use a new compatible v7 property editor."

"All Umbraco core property editors shipped will be mapped to their equivalent v7 editors except the following editors which have not been completed for v7.0:"

So if you use any custom property editor (datatype) you probably can't use it in v7. I'm using a lot of packages myself which many property editors so for me it's almost impossible to upgrade to v7. I think that v7 is great for starting new websites, but I don't think I'll ever upgrade a v6 website to v7.

Jeroen

Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:16
    Alexandru

Other than a few macros I have made and of course my templates and styles, there is only one new document type I have added to the default Blog starter kit package.

So I don't use any custom datatype - I only make use of the existing ones.

Having this considered, do you think it would be possible?

Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:23
    Per Ploug

This guide outlines the standard upgrade steps you need to take into account, its more scary then it sounds, as what you in practice you could do is:

Create new V7 site, copy your custom assets (templates, css, images, js, dlls) into this site.

Run the installer, point to your V6 database. (make a copy of it ofcourse :)

Let the installer upgrade the database

If you made any changes to the standard configuration files, add these changes to the new V7 files.

Run the site, see if there's any parts missing (datatypes, files etc)

Report issues here if there are any - so we can help you out.

If you just have a simpel site like you say., with standard core data types, then I think you should give an upgrade a shot.

Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:25
    Alexandru

Okay, I shall give it a shot now before leaving work. I will keep the thread updated. Thumbs up for the support! :)

Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:27
    Per Ploug

Whhops, actually forgot to post a link to the guide I referred to above, same steps apply to V7

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/general

Dec 10, 2013 @ 13:16
    Alexandru

I have coppied the folders from the new version to my website (overwritten them) same with the web.config files and I now point to my backup database which has been upgraded. Everything wroks fine it seems other than two important xslt files. One that renders the posts on the page and one that renders popular posts.

I get this message instead of the actual content:

Error parsing XSLT file: \xslt\umbBlogListPosts.xslt

and

Error parsing XSLT file: \xslt\checkPopularity.xslt

Any ideas why?

-- Edit --

Actually none of my xslt macros work - only the .net user controls run ok

I get this when I try to save any of the xslt files:

System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransformException: Cannot find a script or an extension object associated with namespace 'urn:BlogLibrary'.

Dec 10, 2013 @ 13:59
    Per Ploug

yup, its because of a missing xslt extension, look in /config/xsltextensions.config on the old site, compare to new, believe you can copy it directly over

Dec 11, 2013 @ 08:20
    Alexandru

I can't find this file in the v7 package. I only have it on the old site. The thing is, I have coppied from the new version, to the old one, not the other way around. (I followed the link you gave me)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft