Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carl 29 posts 51 karma points
    Dec 14, 2013 @ 03:39
    Carl

Advice on implementing a simple product database in v7

Hey People,

I'm back working with Umbraco after a short break, I got a little stung with v5 and shortly after that was mainly working on bespoke applications with no need for CMS but I'm back and liking the look of v7.

I have a fairly basic product catalog style site I need to build, pretty basic... No shopping cart/checkout, just product listings, basic keyword search/categories and details page etc. There will be approx 30,000 products so quite a lot, but very basic simple information being displayed. The products will also be imported automatically initialy with the basic data, with some additional data/image being added afterwards via Umbraco or some kind of admin.

I see a few ways of doing this, and wondering what people think may be the best approach:

1. Create my own simple database tables for the product data, and write bespoke macros etc to display the data and basically do it by hand. I know how to do this, and it would be pretty simple to implement and fast etc.
    2. Wait and see when uCommerce becomes available for v7 and use that in a cut down way and just use the catalog features.
    3. Add the products as nodes within Umbraco itself, and use the DynamicNode razor stuff to filter and display data.
    4. Any other suggestions??
    Hope what I'm trying to do is clear, let me know if anyone has any advice or tips or needs to know anymore info!!
    Thanks, Carl

• David Zweben 265 posts 749 karma points
    Dec 15, 2013 @ 18:57
    David Zweben

If you're set on v7, I would recommend the 'do it all externally in my own tables' method at this point. v7 is still in flux, so I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable putting that much data in it yet without having to worry about bugs and upgrades with breaking changes causing issues. uCommerce is a similar deal, yes someone else would be doing the updates, but then you're putting a lot of faith in them to come up with any necessary fixes in a timely manner. Keeping things separate keeps you insulated from the quirks of a CMS that is nice but still has rough edges. You would even be able to bail out and switch it to v6 or another system entirely if you needed to.

Regards,
    David

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 17, 2013 @ 13:32
    Per Ploug

While Davids advice is sound - implement in tables, be aware of bugs in a new mayor version etc.

Then its also important to point out that everything is not "in flux" and we have zero plans to change basic data storage or the way content is used in a website implementation.

Ofcourse Umbraco 7 has bugs, some really small, some really annoying, which we fix as fast as we can, but its not the same as we will make your website disappear / explode with a patch release :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft