Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tomaž Tekavec 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 17, 2013 @ 19:43
    Tomaž Tekavec

Umbraco backend 7.0.1 not working

I did a fresh Umbraco 7.0.1 installation from the source code. I use VS 2013. No previous Umbraco versions were installed on this machine. Installation went fine, I created an empty SQL 2012 database (I had to use case insensitive collation though, as there are some inconsistences between code and column names) and chose TXT template in the end. 

But when I wanted to start the backend site, nothing happens. An exception is fired in VS as I run the application in the debug mode. Please find the picture attached. Several css/js errors are displayed in the developers console (Chrome) as well. Please advice what could cause the problem.

Kind regards, 

Tomaz

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 17, 2013 @ 22:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Probably should do the Grunt build: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/7.0.1/src/Umbraco.Web.UI.Client/README.md

We're working on having all of this work by pressing F5 in VS but it's not so simple.

In the mean time: you didn't say why you would want to do a build from source, but if you do not need to alter the source then make sure to download and use our distributions instead.

Stable releases: http://our.umbraco.org/download
    Nightly builds: http://nightly.umbraco.org/

• Christian Stenfors 80 posts 124 karma points
    Dec 18, 2013 @ 10:15
    Christian Stenfors

i am also having problems with the backend in v. 7.0.1.

I downloaded the version here at our.umbraco.org (http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/701) and when through the installation process in the browser.

Everything when fine there, but in the backend, clicked on sections and so on, does nothing.

Help?

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 18, 2013 @ 10:17
    Per Ploug

Christian - your issue is not related to the original topic, which is about building from source.

Give us some more information then "does nothing" - do you get any errors in browser console? what does the screen look like? any error messages?

• Snehal Thube 21 posts 63 karma points
    Dec 18, 2013 @ 10:30
    Snehal Thube

Hi,

I even faced the same issue, if possible try to install and set up this new version using IIS or IIS Express instead of VS default engine.

I hope this helps someone.

Dec 18, 2013 @ 10:33
    Christian Stenfors

your right, sorry.

Show i create another threat for my problems?

Here is a screenshot of the backend with a console open. The weird thing is, that it seams to work "better" with the browser console open..

Dec 18, 2013 @ 10:38
    Christian Stenfors

when i load the backend, it seams like it randomly loads part of the UI.

I also have som spinning icons in the console requests being made (marked with yellow in the screenshot below).

Maybe the backend is falling somehow in the javascipt communication back and fourth?

• Snehal Thube 21 posts 63 karma points
    Dec 18, 2013 @ 10:38
    Snehal Thube

Hi, Could you please mark a post as the solution if it helped you.

Snehal

Dec 18, 2013 @ 10:57
    Christian Stenfors

Per, does this screenshot tell you anything? I had created a template. Then i clicked the three dots "..." right of the template to create another template as a child to the first one. But nothing happens. The request looks (to me) like its just hanning when i look at the console

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Dec 18, 2013 @ 16:45
    Rasmus Berntsen

@Christian: Try to remove your cookies related to your new installation. I had some problems too, from a clean installation, which I fixed that way.

• John Collins 8 posts 37 karma points
    Dec 18, 2013 @ 19:25
    John Collins

I have issues with 7.0.1 as well. Installed it clean 3 times and can't get a left side menu in the backend.

Dec 18, 2013 @ 19:32
    Dec 18, 2013 @ 19:42
    John Collins

What console? This is hosted online. I'm not installing it locally.

I did a new install with 7.0.0 and that works fine, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with cookies etc.

Here is the 7.0.0 which works fine. Just installed 2 min ago. Same proceedure as the 3 times with 7.0.1...

Dec 18, 2013 @ 20:19
    Rasmus Berntsen

If you're using Chrome, you need to open Developer Tools (ctrl + shift + i), and select Console. I believe you see some 417 (Invalid token) errors here. What you need to do is to remove your cookies, so go to Resources (still in Chrome developer toolbar), select Cookies, right click on the site you're on, and select "clear".

Clear the cookies, is what I'm trying to say. That should do the trick. :-)

Dec 18, 2013 @ 20:27
    John Collins

Berentsen, I appreciate the help, but I did clear cookies etc. I tried 3 different browsers, even downloaded mozilla, but 7.0.1 still seems like it's broken.

I installed 7.0.0 again and it's working fine now, so I'll just keep using this until it gets fixed.

Just a side note on 7.0.1.

I was initially running 7.0.0 and did the upgrade to 7.0.1 and the upgrade kept going in a loop wanting to upgrade my dataabse (probably another 7.0.1 issue). This is when I decided to just do a clean install of 7.0.1.

John

Dec 18, 2013 @ 20:36
    Rasmus Berntsen

Hi John,

Do you see any errors in the console?

Edit: Ahhh...  Nevermind if you downgraded.

Dec 18, 2013 @ 20:42
    John Collins

I'd have to install 7.0.1 again to see. I'll let you know if I have time to do it again.

The package I created as a backup of my site before the upgrade, did not backup the Partial Views even though I told it to, so I'm trying to get these re-created right now. I guess that's what you get for trying to be on the leading edge :)

Dec 19, 2013 @ 10:23
    Christian Stenfors

@Berntsen, i will give the "removing cookies"-solution a try. But it has been had for me to troubleshooting this, because at one point the problems are there, then the next minute it seems to work well. Back and fourth...

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 12:13
    Per Ploug

One of the changes between 7.0 and 7.0.1 is that by default files will be servered via client-dependency framework, so things are combined and minified automatically. You can turn this off by setting the web.config to debug mode, clear the browser cache and refresh.

Not a solution, just a step towards understanding why this happens

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft