Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 07:09
    Meni

Can't upgrade to Umbraco 7 / 7.0.1 - HELP!!!!!

Tried to Upgrade to 7, w/o success, so I downgraded to 6.x. Now, after the release of 7.0.1 I hoped this bug will be solved already, yet get the error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Core.Sync.ConfigServerRegistrar..ctor() +15
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.InitializeResolvers() +841
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.InitializeResolvers() +18
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.Initialize() +267
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.Initialize() +18
       Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase.StartApplication(Object sender, EventArgs e) +90
       Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +9

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +9860497
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +118
       System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +172
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +336
       System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +296

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +9874840
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +101
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +254

Any solution..??

Thanks

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 09:57
    Per Ploug

Hi Meni

How are you upgrading? - are you using the config files provided with 7.0.1 ? the error indicates, theres an issue with a config file

/Per

Dec 19, 2013 @ 19:22
    Meni

Hi Per,

So I just follow the instruction on the Upgrading page - http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/general

I downlad the zip file, unzipped, then copy these folders using FileZilla:

• /bin
    • /Install (don't forget to remove it after the upgrade is finished)
    • /Umbraco
    • /Umbraco_Client

Then get the error ...

That's it.

And then - downgrade again (same proccess..) to 6.1.4 :(

Dec 20, 2013 @ 09:09
    Per Ploug

Since version 7 is a mayor version upgrade, you will need to perform some extra steps, for instandce the config files need to be modified:

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/v7-upgrade

Dec 24, 2013 @ 18:24
    Meni

Hi Per, Thanks. I've read it, but it's not really explain what I need to perform... I followed the steps, I'm copy the necessary directories but still - not get in install page ...

• Alexander 33 posts 83 karma points
    Dec 30, 2013 @ 17:44
    Alexander

You should merge your config files manually.

Dec 30, 2013 @ 19:14
    Meni

Ok Alexander, Thanks. But, how do I do it?

Jan 02, 2014 @ 15:03
    Per Ploug

If you didnt modify your configuration files on your current site, then all you will need to move over is the database connectionstring, but the most normal places peope have changes is in appsettings in web.config and in the /config/umbracosettins.config file - so compare your current config files with the ones included in the V7 download and copy your changes over.

• Peter Holmsgaard 69 posts 106 karma points
    Jan 02, 2014 @ 15:21
    Peter Holmsgaard

For comparing the changes in the configs You can use a merge-tool such as WinMerge

Try it out - it's free

Jan 12, 2014 @ 06:51
    Meni

Finally!! Success !! It's was hard ... I copied also to Config folder , as well as changed the config file. however, had lot of issues with the MVC versions (3 & 4) - anyway, I think the Umbraco team should have make the process more automate as well as post more detail upgrade guide with common errors cases. honestly, I think I prefer the old version ... (6.1.6 ..)

Jan 12, 2014 @ 06:59
    Meni

But just realized that I have now another (annoying..) issue..

All my Like disappears from my news items. Try to figure out why - I see that now all my pages appear with out the .aspx, mean just the address - maybe this the reason?

For example - just copied a link from my site: opli.net/opli_magazine/astronomy/2013/tiny-but-ultra-bright-quartet-of-ancient-galaxies-takes-astronomers-by-surprise-jan/

before the upgrade it was: opli.net/opli_magazine/astronomy/2013/tiny-but-ultra-bright-quartet-of-ancient-galaxies-takes-astronomers-by-surprise-jan.aspx/

Jan 14, 2014 @ 10:26
    Per Ploug

by default Umbraco uses directory urls without any file extensions, you can change this in the web.config by changing the appsettings > umbracoUseDirectoryUrls to false.

Remember to republish your pages after changing this setting to change the urls

Will look into our upgrade guides, we do already outline a ton of things for people to take into account, will add that mvc v4 requirement.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft