Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Topic author was deleted

Dec 22, 2013 @ 09:43

Is umbraco still alive?

Recently I've started working with Umbraco. But since then, I'm wandering how alive Umbraco and its communicty is, or that it is dead already.

Why am I asking this? Because I see al lot of question unanswered on the forum, packages that have not been tested with the latest versions of the product etc.

Is it worth investing futher in Umbraco, or shall I invest in e.g. Orchard?

• David Zweben 268 posts 753 karma points
    Dec 22, 2013 @ 16:09
    David Zweben

I don't think the community is dying, I think what you're seeing is due to the very big set of changes that occurred with Umbraco 7. A lot of packages need to be significantly changed to work with the new version, it's not just a matter of testing it, so that's not going to happen overnight. From what I've seen, there are a number of people working on making new and interesting packages. The main Umbraco developers are all focusing on putting together new documentation, fixing bugs, and generally getting things stabilized after making such a big change to the CMS. Pretty much everyone is still learning about Umbraco 7, so unanswered questions at this early stage aren't too surprising.

I'd just give some time for the v6 to v7 transition to stabilize a bit more before you get too worried.

• Daniel Schmid 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jul 14, 2014 @ 14:00
    Daniel Schmid

Hi all

The thread is over half a year old. About that time i was looking to replace DNN with a more natural extendable CMS. I was looking at Orchard but have chosen Umbraco 7 for my personal site. My intent was to also move some sites I support fom DNN over to Umbraco. Now I had a second look at Orchard. It is impressive. Some Parts surpass Umbraco, I think.

Does anyone have some arguments why I should stay with Umbraco? I'm interested to read about them.

My opinion is:

• Umbraco is clean and beautiful
    • Umbraco Control Panel looks great and ist tablet ready
    • Umbraco is like dead. Ok, not dead but paralyzed maybe. Development is in progress, the installation for instance got new and better, simply great. But Modules? There is no optimism in the project. Version 7 adoption is slow. Documentation is in large parts still about version 4, other parts are about version 6. Important modules for version 7 don't exist or are hidden from the shop. The Trello Board about documentation still contains items that are obsolete with version 7, like "XSLT Basics" for instance and nothing about version 7. Documentation leads more into confusion than it is helpful.
    • Orchard is overloded with modules.
    • Orchard source is overloaded with libraries used.
    • But Orchard has more modules, a nice forms module out of the box and a workflow module as well for instance. A calendar module is in their store.
    • Orchard has more documentation that applies to the current state of the software.

This post is not about starting a flame war. I am afraid seeing a great project loosing community support and eventually dying.

So again, any response delivering arguments for not to move to Orchard would be welcome

• Arie 224 posts 675 karma points
    Jul 15, 2014 @ 04:30
    Arie

Umbraco is alive and well, and the rate with which new packages are being released by the community is increasing.

Having said all that, many people who are using Umbraco are more integrators than developers. It would seem to me that for this reason HQ should ensure that basic functionality is available out of the box, or at least via packages. I would argue that they're almost there - with the exception of a basic contact form. Of course there's Contour, but many implementors would be hard-pressed to pay €99 for it since they often don't need all of Contour's features.

The community has created basic functionality for things like simple contact forms for the earlier versions of Umbraco, but has indeed been slow to release packages for version 7.

Documentation is also problematic and seems to be a disjointed effort.

HQ would do well to give more attention to both basic functionality and documentation.

Having said all that, I believe that Umbraco has proven to be a strong contender, probably comparable more with Sitecore than with Orchard and DNN.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jul 15, 2014 @ 10:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daniel and welcome to our :)

First of, Umbraco is not dying. Not at all. The annual CodeGarden conference has just been held in Copenhagen at the attendee number was the highest ever. Upcoming versions are going to be loaded with some really nice stuff like the new grid property editor, segmentation and other nice stuff.

Currently the HQ is actually looking to hire more staff and on September 1st they will open a new office. So HQ is probably going to grow during the next year, which means more manpower and hopefully some of that manpower can be used to address some of the issues regarding documentation structure. There is load of documentation but yes it's really confusing to figure out what part of the documentation is for what version of Umbraco. Especially since there have been so many releases of Umbraco during the past 2 years - Lot's of nice progress. But untill now the HQ has been really small and they of course focus on core work and especially the Umbraco as a Service project, which means that there are less persons to organize documentation etc. - Umbraco is not only a HQ project - it's a community project, which relies heavily on community contributions. Some of the best things in the core has been adopted from community contributions actually.

I don't think it's fair to say that the community has not adopted to v7 releasing packages - the ucomponents project has turned in to the nucomponents project for instance converting some of the existing ucomponents property editors and creating new ones for use in v7 and other nice packages like Vorto and uSkySlider, Google maps etc. has been released as well. And I'm sure much more awesome packages are in the making - But of course it's taken some time for the community to learn AgnularJs and get up to speed with how to build sites on Umbraco 7. So people are getting there - But as right now it's summer time and many umbracians are having a holiday so I think it's only natural that things are a bit slow this month at least.

But to be fair - I don't know that much about Orchard and how it works etc. - But perhaps it's the right fit in your current situation. There might be other situations where Umbraco would be the better fit over Orchard and then again sometimes a 3rd type of CMS could be the right fit. So if Umbraco currently does not seem like the right fit then go with the other option - Do what you think is the right move in your current situation :)

Just my 2 cents :)

/Jan

• Ryios 122 posts 263 karma points
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 18:07
    Ryios

In my experience, the umbraco forums are kind of dead, if you compare them to something like the MSDN forum for SharePoint, or Wordpress communities.

Partly because most of the umbraco questions I see, are all over on stackoverflow, as opposed to here.

I also blame it on how slow these forums are sometimes. Sometimes it literally takes me 5 minutes to get one to load. I suspect that's because the application pool is shutting down from being idle and that has a compounding effect of people not wanting to come here, which makes it idle more and more often.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 18:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Fortunately the forums will be relaunched very soon actually - The HQ guys have been working hard to be able to release a new version. You can learn more about what is coming up in the uHangout Warren made with Simon and Rune here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU5jnyF8O3A

But yes, the forum has unfortunately been slow for a long time and it's been frustrating. Ideas around how to improve etc. has been talked about for a long time but I think it's been to hard to get people involved in improving these forums even though it's been open sourced because it is something that needs to be managed by HQ...not to say that HQ should make everything but they should make the core and then open up for leaving some of the "nice to haves" for the community to implement if one has time and wants to help etc.

But saying that the forum is idle is a bold statement I think...I see many people using the forums everyday. But I don't know how many are using SO instead of our though but there is quite an amount of activity going on in here as well. And hopefully the popularity will grow once the new, FASTER and heavily improved version is released.

Just my 2 cents :)

/Jan

• William Burnett 213 posts 262 karma points
    Aug 09, 2015 @ 14:22
    William Burnett

Let me dredge this back up:

This post is the poster child for what is wrong with Umbraco.

You (Umbraco team members) think that because a bunch of code monkeys show up in Europe and pat each other on the head, that this "project" is alive and well.

This project is an open source disaster: You folks have no focus, even though youall think you are staring at the same thing. You rely on a silly vote-it-up bug system that obsfucates the real issues instead of bringing them to the forefront. You never get one think finished before you start work on 10 more. Hell, every update is a trip to file-compare hell that ends in something-broke limbo.

You folks have no organizational model, even though each of you thinks that just ONE MORE content delivery method will bring the big picture into foucs. There are blog posts, wiki posts, forum posts, twitter posts, facebook posts, RSS feeds. You guys have shit spread all over the place.

The forum itself is a disorganized disaster with a user interface that, no matter how many times it is "fixed" still sucks more than a mechanical tit puller on a dairy cow. Better yet, every few years you abandon the data and move to a "new" forum, that (of course) consumed countless development hours that could have been better spent on atually fixing umbraco and the documentation.

That brings me to the next point: Good grief, how much time have you folks wasted BUILDING tools that have already been built by somebody else, just for the sake of doing it in Umbraco? Honestly, are you guys building a CMS or a full featured forum framework? Focus? Where? On What?

You see, counting code monkeys to quantify the status of this project is no more telling than getting high peer reviews for pissing off the side of the ship with other drunk sailors. It means nothing in the real world.

I adopted Umbraco way back in V3 and it is the only platform that I use to build sites. As promissing as it is, and as good as it can be, it is shameful that this many years later, it is still such a disaster in so many contexts. Really? Dig thorugh 5-10 documents (if you can find the right ones) and file compare dozens of files every time there is an update? Enough said.

Aug 09, 2015 @ 20:02
    Arie

Your frustration is evident, but your message may gain more traction if you presented it in a more neutral tone (although I have to admit that some passages made me smile...).

Having said that, you make a number of valid points that I hope will be taken seriously by HQ.

I started using Umbraco v4 back in the day, and I've worked with a fair number of 'competitors' in enterprise environments - both Open Source and Commercial. In addition, I have first-hand experience with large (and outrageously expensive) enterprise applications. Compared to many of those (including apps with licenses that approach $1M with $100k+ annual maintenance agreements) Umbraco actually doesn't do to poorly.

That is not to say that HQ ought to improve on a number of fronts, but I can tell you first-hand that they're doing better than many other companies.

So, hopefully HQ will take our input and distill them into a focused vision for the future.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Aug 10, 2015 @ 14:21
    Niels Hartvig

William,

We did have a blast in Orlando this spring where we even saw Americans and Canadians pat each other on the head. I guess that's a little progress.

Jokes aside; the last year we've actually focused on spreading our shit on fewer places, which means that we've been working on re-organising all our documentation. It's a lot of work but it's going places on a steady pace.

In regards to upgrading Umbraco, we've also spend a lot of time over the last two years in making it much easier. This includes support for NuGet upgrades, an improved migration engine inside Umbraco (in 7.3) and a general focus on code style-guidelines which means it's easier to do a compare.

In addition to what's mentioned above, I'm also pretty happy that:

• Every time we've added one feature to the core the last two years, we've fixed fifteen bugs
    • Every time we spend one hour on the Our software - which is more than just yet-another-forum - we've spend more than twenty hours on the core. I'm proud that we're not only dog-fooding Umbraco this way, but that we also prove that we believe our community is a part of the product
    • The community does more than padding heads; the last year we've had 150 contributors to the core and more than 700 pull requests

Of course we're not perfect, but we know that and we do what we can to improve whenever we learn what's needed. If there's other way we can improve, please let us know.

All the best,

Niels

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Aug 10, 2015 @ 18:28
    Matthew Kirschner

I think most of these grievances are par for the course with open source products.

However, the one gripe that really stands out is the lack of updated documentation. Seriously, searching for the appropriate Umbraco doc is like searching for a needle in a haystack, and then having to check that needle for rust because it's several years old.

And then there's Umbraco TV... a paid subscription service for tutorial videos on outdated software. I know you need to make money guys, but not at the expense of teaching people how to actually use your product. The free videos only go so far.

As a newbie to Umbraco with v7, the weak documentation has been my only major gripe.

Aug 09, 2015 @ 14:25
    William Burnett

Point-in-hand:

I just posted, went back to EDIT my typos... and WOW no way to edit a post.

Nothig like (again) building a forum interface from the ground up, for the 4 or 5th time and STILL not getting it right.

You guys are lost so far in the weeds, that you will never find you way out.

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Aug 10, 2015 @ 00:56
    Nathan Woulfe

FYI - the edit option is in the bottom right corner of the comment. Pencil icon.

Aug 10, 2015 @ 00:57
    Arie

I find that I usually have to refresh the page before the edit-icon is displayed.

• Rune Hem Strand 147 posts 911 karma points hq c-trib
    Aug 10, 2015 @ 15:03
    Rune Hem Strand

Fixed. Thanks for the feedback!

• James 251 posts 1169 karma points
    Aug 10, 2015 @ 14:26
    James

All Umbraco training courses get fully booked quickly.

Digital agencies exist that sell solely Umbraco websites.

Seems fairly alive to me.

• Nigel Wilson 945 posts 2077 karma points
    Aug 10, 2015 @ 20:01
    Nigel Wilson

It is disappointing that frustrations are aired in such a way...

Umbraco is an awesome product and I have a huge amount of respect for the core team and their skills. Man, I'd love to say I was part of the inner sanctum of this product...

Umbraco Core Team - please let such negativity wash over you without effect - for every 1 negative comment aired there are probably 99 silent positive ones... :-)

Rock on

Nigel

• Arlan 58 posts 184 karma points
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 00:46
    Arlan

I have discovered Umbraco about year ago, i love the product, there are some good issues that were pointed out by one of the posters in here, but i am sure its already been the creators know about them, I had good experience with Forum support, people like Dennis Aaen, and others helped me a lot. At the end its a free product, cant complain much when its free and its pretty good compared to other free CMS out there. i guess i am one of the 99 commenters.

Aug 10, 2015 @ 20:51
    William Burnett

@ Niels Hartvig - You (and the entire team) are EXTREMELY talented individuals. There is no question that you have done something wonderful and amazing. I also recognize the countless hours of hard work, personal sacrifices and dedication that have been poured into this project. That, and my love for it are part of what fuels my frustration.

That said, there has been a fairly long laundry list of "core" issues that continue to plague this project.

Information is spread all over the place. It is mind boggling to find what you need. And when you do find it, there is almost a 100% chance that it is not complete information. The "search" is better, but still, frankly, terrible.

The forum, really is all kinds of terrible, and countless iterations later is just terrible in different ways. I would have quoted what I responding to, but umm... Ohh there is no simple text quote feature. I have to go copy and paste... meh.

Upgrades? Okay, just a wee tiny bit of improvement, but still insanity. Why ohh why are user modifications and package modifications mixed in with core code, instead of being isolated for ease of upgrade? You guys are brilliant, put some energy into this.

So anyway - I a not a hater, just frustrated beyond articulation.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12134 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 10:38
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi William,

Everything you point as flawed is open source. From the documentation, to this community site to the core software.

So if you have a issue with them, fork the git repository, fix it and make a pull request.

Believe it or not that there is actually documentation on how to do that : https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/

So instead of putting all this negative energy in these rant posts, turn it in something possitive and fix something that is bothering you.

Dave

Aug 11, 2015 @ 12:08
    Niels Hartvig

Hey All!

Rune from the HQ just blogged about the new Our, including

Documentation has also seen a lot changes, including two new sections and improved search. Keep an eye on the docs as they will receive some massive updates in the coming weeks. We have been working hard to both clean up the existing documentation and add a bunch of new content.

• Denis 47 posts 68 karma points
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 20:36
    Denis

Hello,

mr. Richard and other people doas not know what is Umbraco, as ordinary user that uses Umbraco few years i must to say UMBRACO IS BEST CMS EVER, Umbraco team is realy working on new versions and IT REALY ROCKS !!!

You ask about module, why there are not modules like Wordpress? We don't need modules, Umbraco is so GREAT that i need maximum 2 hours to create any type of module only with Ftp and Umbraco Backend, that module is full customizible and works exatcly that i need. With basic konwledge and text editor you can create all type of modules. You dont need Visual studio, compiler, nothing ...

Forum ? Why I don't write or read forum ? Helooo, everthing is working perfect, so why i need to ask questions ? Last time i have write some question on forum was about 2 years i think, and i have get an answer same day.

Who am i to tell this ? Nobady, I have create about 50 sites with umbraco and I am realy happy programmer.

I have came from 4 year working with DNN (Dotnetnuke), and i must say that was worst development time in my life. With DNN i have spent 80% for debuging, tweeking and demistifiyng DNN and 20% for developing site. I don't want't to lose any second for thinking on DNN.

Umbraco Team, please don't lose Your time for questions like this, i am realy happy with Umbraco and PLEASE WORK ON UMBRACO IN THE FUTURE, BECAUSE YOU ARE ON RIGHT WAY AND YOUR WORK IS GREAT AND INCREDABLE !!!

Aug 12, 2015 @ 09:28
    Niels Hartvig

For the record; I absolutely love that people point out flaws we have. If all people do is brown-nosing we'll never unleash the potential that lies in the knowledge and talents in the community.

So massive kudos to those who've added their concerns in this thread and the more specific people can be in their criticism, the better we - both as the company and as the community - can address them.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft