Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dany Wu 81 posts 114 karma points
    Dec 29, 2013 @ 23:55
    Dany Wu

Logging in again reveals password in URL!

I was in the middle of editing and left the session alone for long enough for it to timeout. When I went to log back in I was left with a what looked like a modal dialog box where the bindings have failed. It simply showed the AngularJS binding element of {{MenuDialogTitle}}. That is not the worst part though. The URL in the address bar showed: http://bmdcnz/umbraco/?username=admin&password=_____#/login?check=false, where my password was shown in plain text!

There's a JS error in Firebug console: Error: too much recursion. (angular.min.js line 63).

Also:

NetworkError: 400 Bad Request - http://bmdcnz/umbraco/UmbracoApi/Authentication/IsAuthenticated

Has anyone else encountered this? Pretty darn scary if I was on a shared machine!

Cheers, D.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 30, 2013 @ 14:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hi Dany, which version are you using? 7.0.0 or 7.0.1?

Dec 30, 2013 @ 18:55
    Dany Wu

Whoops, forgot to mention I'm on 7.0.1.

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Dec 31, 2013 @ 02:35
    Shannon Deminick

Hi Dany,

I've tested this in 7.0.0, 7.0.1 and with latest codebase and can't replicate the issue. We fixed an issue with the login http post with query strings in 7.0.1 but even before that fix I'm not sure how the URL would be redirected to the one you've listed.

Given this URL: http://bmdcnz/umbraco/?username=admin&password=_#/login?check=false

This would mean that you've been redirected to that URL since angular only updates the part of the URL after the hash(#).

Is there any chance you can replicate this issue?

Also note that a 400 response is normal and we return this response code for any validation failures.

Dec 31, 2013 @ 07:47
    Dany Wu

I have had this happen at least twice before I noticed the query string. I will try to remember what happened in details if it happens again.

Jan 04, 2014 @ 21:59
    Dany Wu

It happened again! I have deployed the basic draft skeleton of the site on shared hosting. I have left the session running for a while so I assumed it had expired perhaps? I went to refresh Stylesheet node tree, a browser login dialog popped up, I clicked cancel, I was sent back to the backoffice login screen and the URL was:

http://bmdcnz.codedog.info/umbraco/?username=admin&password=password#/login?check=false

Jan 05, 2014 @ 23:08
    Shannon Deminick

Hi, what I'm not understanding is the part "a browser login dialog popped up". Are you using some sort of Basic Authentication on your IIS website? We don't have any sort of login dialog 'pop-up' in v7 and we don't have a 'cancel' button so I'm assuming this dialog has to be something outside of v7. Please let me know any other details you have.

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:17
    Dany Wu

I think that IIS authentication part is a bit of a red herring. I don't have any kind of authentication enabled on the shared hosting. Not sure what happened there. When this URL was visible on my dev machine at home I had no such IIS authentication dialog popping up.

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:19
    Shannon Deminick

Ok so was this login dialog like an IIS auth dialog? If so, at least that's a start to see if Basic Auth is doing some very strange things with the redirect (still seems very weird though since the password is POSTed)

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:22
    Dany Wu

Yes, it was very much like an IIS auth dialog. That has never happened on my dev env - only on the shared hosting. I figured authentication would be a POST request. That means the data should be in the body, not part of the URL, right?

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:28
    Shannon Deminick

Indeed, but unfortunately the way that the URLs were being created in 7.0.0 had the password in a query string in some cases, this was fixed in 7.0.1 - please make sure you are running 7.0.1 and not 7.0.0 and ensure that all of the client files in the /Umbraco folder were replaced when you upgraded.

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:32
    Dany Wu

I'm definitely running 7.0.1. I started with an empty MVC project and installed the Umbraco Cms nuget package. At least that's what the nuget package says. I assume the right build of Umbraco went into that package and the Umbraco Core prerequisite? ;o)

I do find it a bit weird that I'm having this problem, yet nobody else seems to be mentioning it.

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:35
    Shannon Deminick

If you can check this file:

/umbraco/js/umbraco.resources.js

on line 28 or so you should see this

return umbRequestHelper.resourcePromise(
        $http.post(
            umbRequestHelper.getApiUrl(
                "authenticationApiBaseUrl",
                "PostLogin"), {
                    username: username,
                    password: password
                }),
        'Login failed for user ' + username);

Can you verify that looks like that and not like this:

return umbRequestHelper.resourcePromise(
        $http.post(
        umbRequestHelper.getApiUrl(
            "authenticationApiBaseUrl",
            "PostLogin",
            [{ username: username }, { password: password }]))),
    'Login failed for user ' + username);

let me know!

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:39
    Dany Wu

It does indeed look like the former, not the latter.

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:40
    Dany Wu

It does indeed look like the former, not the latter.

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:42
    Shannon Deminick

Well that's at least good news :)

The username/password are POSTed then, can you check that this is the case on both your dev and the server you are having trouble with?

Otherwise I'll have to see if i can replicate with IIS and Basic Authentication

Jan 06, 2014 @ 07:47
    Dany Wu

That particular snippet are the same both on dev and server. I don't think I have Basic Authentication enabled on either environment. I have Anonymous enabled, and Forms auth.

Jan 06, 2014 @ 10:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I can see at least one problem here: the username and password during a POST are also just attached to the URL as a querystring. So I'm seeing: /umbraco/UmbracoApi/Authentication/PostLogin?username=admin&password=mypassword

So essentially it's still doing a GET through the POST verb.

Jan 06, 2014 @ 10:27
    Shannon Deminick

Sebastian, it used to do that in 7.0.0 but is fixed in 7.0.1

Jan 06, 2014 @ 10:32
    Shannon Deminick

just tested again to make sure, these are not passed as query strings in 7.0.1

Jan 06, 2014 @ 10:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Shannon ah, damn, you're right, I was seeing this on a slightly older build of 7.0.1.. never mind, a clean install of the final works properly.

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Aug 25, 2015 @ 17:04
    Eric Schrepel

We're on 7.2.8, use Okta to provide login credentials via SSL/ActiveDirectory, and a user just saw his password appear in the URL after the login screen had passed. URL looked sort of like: https://www.domain.org/umbraco?username=cm%40domain.org%password=____#/content

It's not a frequent occurrence (first I'd heard of it), but thought we'd mention it.

Aug 26, 2015 @ 07:21
    Shannon Deminick

I am not familiar with Okta but I would suspect that the issue is part of that integration.

When logging in normally, the Umbraco core absolutely only POSTs the login data with no query strings, you can see the following requests:

Unsuccessful login:

enter image description here

Successful login:

enter image description here

And during this process there is no redirecting so the user would not see any changes to the query string format of the address.

If you can provide steps to replicate with whatever integration you are doing with Okta I can attempt to help solve the issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft