Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

  • George 58 posts 165 karma points
    Jan 10, 2014 @ 12:34

    Can't log in after umbraco 7 update

    Hello fellow umbraco users,

    I recently updated umbraco from version 4.9 to 7.0.1 on my local development site (not without problems,but in the end I managed to get it running).

    Today, I have been trying to repeat the process for a website on our server that has an identical configuration as my local website, except they have a different domain name (localhost vs

    Merging folders and files went well, now I can open the umbraco login screen for the web site, however I always get the following error when trying to log in ( I tried admin and multiple user accounts ) :

    POST 500 (Internal Server Error)  angular.min.js:106

    The network request is getting the following response:

    "Message":"An error has occurred.",
    "ExceptionMessage":"Object reference not set to an instance of an object.",
    "   at umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.getUserId(String lname)
    at umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password)
    at Umbraco.Web.Editors.AuthenticationController.PostLogin(LoginModel loginModel)
    at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
    at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass13.<GetExecutor>b__c(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
    at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.Execute(Object instance, Object[] arguments)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskHelpers.RunSynchronously[TResult](Func`1 func, CancellationToken cancellationToken)"}

    I never had this problem on the other machine/site where I updated Umbraco.
    Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

  • George 58 posts 165 karma points
    Jan 10, 2014 @ 14:03

    It seems like I had slightly different connection strings on the 2 machines, I added this to my web.config:

    <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="censored" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" /> 

    However, now every time I try to open umbraco it fails because Examine cant find an object "cmsPropertyTypeGroup" which is a part of the upgraded umbraco 7 database. And this happens BEFORE I have run the umbraco instalation procedure in my browser, can't even get to the login screen now...

  • George 58 posts 165 karma points
    Jan 10, 2014 @ 14:48

    Solved it, I think the problem was that I copied a big part of my web.config from the site that already had umbraco 7.0.1 installed. Therefore, there was a line there such as:

    <add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="7.0.1" />

    Which should be set to blank in order to start the instalation. 

    <add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="" /> 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: