Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Jan 13, 2014 @ 12:45
    Martin Griffiths

Related links broken in Umbraco 7.0.1 after upgrade (upgrade journey so far)

I'm hoping my experience with related links is the same bug U4-3987 U7 - Related Links - Changing Link Type doesn't correctly update data. I cant add any data at all, simply nothing happens, with no obvious errors. Also in the UI on some documents I get multiple empty rows! See screenshot at the bottom...

This has been a pleasingly successful upgrade of our main site which originated in Umbraco 4.0.4 and has since gone to through a schema switch in XSLT 4.7 -> 4.10.x -> 4.11.x -> 6.1.6 (with DB schema fixed in VS2012, seriously you need to add this to v7 its very poor I had to do it myself) then finally onto 7.0.1. Courier was dumped when we hit Umbraco 4.11, it was terribly unreliable compared to Courier 1.3 shame. Contour has remained solid throughout and works well in Umbraco 7.

The UI will be a massive culture shock to our end-users but I think it's an improvement overall.....maybe a tad too much whitespace and lack of chrome. But overall I like it, it might convince them to get out the company iPads! lol.

I needed to do quite a bit of re-jigging of property editors, but I understand a consolidation of them was overdue, which is good thing. It's great to see member group picking and macro picking become standard properties.

I noticed I had to re-create my members as they error'd. not sure why (new API?).

While I accept the multitree node picker has limitations, I was quite surprised to see CSV is completely omitted, i'll have to change my XSLT to use XML instead. Bit of an arse. Unless its coming back?

I've used our non-MVC build (webforms + XSLT) for now and all continues to function ok, so great compatibility! Although I already have an MVC + XSLT build ready and waiting which is mobile respsonsive (HTML5/CSS3) so I'll look forward to upgrading that from 6 to 7 too.

Fantastic work on the new back office, I cant wait to get my teeth into some more backend development which should be considerably easier and more streamlined.

ADDED: This test build will go out to our marketing dept. for evaluation and feedback this week. I'm hoping to roll it out once a few more bugs have been nailed. Maybe 7.0.2, but 7.1 is more likely.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 10:35
    Per Ploug

Hi Martin

Thanks for the feedback so far, weird with the related links ui acting up, but there has been a pull-request submitted to fix it, so should be fixed in 7.0.2

DB Schema update fix, what exactly did you have to do manually, and where did you expect it to do it automatically? - it should ideally just be a part of the installer, but might be an oversight since the new installer for upgrades was installed long time after the schema changes.

the mntp should just out csv by default, we've been trying to move away from xml in general since xslt has been abandoned by microsoft a long time ago in favor of razor.

Keep the feedback coming, highly appreciated.

/Per

Jan 14, 2014 @ 10:58
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Per

I figured the problem i'm having with related links was probably the same bug due to be fixed in 7.0.2. I'll wait to see if it solves my issues.

On the DB front I commented on the ticket U4-3616 Problem upgrading from 4.11.3 to 7.0RC and posted here http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/46251-Database-error-during-upgrade-to-v7 I dont know if the ticket represents an "official" opinion on updating sites via the installer, but it really shouldnt fail as catastrophically as it does. It left me with no choice but to use the Microsoft database tools and compare schemas (upgraded 6.1.2 vs empty 7.0.1). Once i'd fixed things up, the installer made it to 100% but then YSOD again with the error documented here http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/47067-Upgrade-to-701-gives-Unable-to-cast-object-of-type-SystemInt32-to-type-SystemString it was a simple matter of dropping in 7.0.1. into the web.config and all was good. Again I'm assuming this is due to schema mismatch problems.

I assumed the MNTP would output XML by default, so i'm quite surprised (and relieved) it's outputting CSV, great news!

Martin

Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:09
    Martin Griffiths

One extra thing worth noting after my upgrade from 6 to 7. The installer failed to remap properly the v6 MNTP to v7. When I clicked on content using the converted property, I got big red bars saying errors were logged (nothing in the log I could see). When I went to the data type, again I got big red error bars. So I had to re-create the dataytype from scratch using the new MNTP property type and re-apply the new one to my document type. At this point I fully expected to lose my data, but thankfully nothing was lost! Phew!

Martin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft