Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Micah Redding 7 posts 50 karma points
    Jan 20, 2014 @ 16:14
    Micah Redding

New project: Umbraco 6 or Umbraco 7?

Hi,

I'm new to Umbraco, and .net CMSs in general. I'm about to start a new basic CMS project, and am trying to decide which system to build it in.

Beyond basic CMS requirements, I'll need to embed videos, use several custom contact forms, and do some external API integration (with the user authentication and login system).

Is Umbraco 7 a solid choice for these requirements? Or should I use Umbraco 6, or something else entirely?

Thanks!

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 20, 2014 @ 16:20
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Micah,

We are using umbraco 6, because 7 isn't so stable as 6 now.

Thanks

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 20, 2014 @ 16:44
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Alex Curious as to where stability is a problem for you?

@Micah I would definitely recommend v7 for your needs then. Embedding videos is built in, creating contact forms can either be done through Contour or written in MVC, external APIs can also be accessed using MVC (like any "normal" API integration you'd do in .net) and the backoffice experience for the end-users (editors of the site) is much better in v7.

The APIs that are available in v7 are the exact same ones as for v6, so the only real difference is the backoffice built on top of those APIs.

Of course I'm biased but if you're starting fresh and with these requirements then there's no problem in using the rock solid APIs and the user friendly new backoffice.

• Graeme W 113 posts 289 karma points
    Jan 21, 2014 @ 15:15
    Graeme W

I can't comment on the stability of v7 but experience tells me that with major upgrades of any software there will always be a few teething troubles that will take a few releases to iron out.

The trouble is with forums like this you only tend to read about the people having problems. It would be interesting to see some posts from people who have gone live with 7 and hear their first hand about their experience. Anyone...?

• Phill 115 posts 288 karma points
    Jan 21, 2014 @ 17:29
    Phill

My 2 cents would be that if you can use Umbraco v7 straight out of the box then you're good to go, it's fast and the UI is a great update for most users. If you need any packages or customization then I would stick with v6. I've just gone through a painful experience of trying to add a blog to v7 site using uBlogsy which is marked as a v7 compatible package but it isn't even close and I can't even hack it to work as the ability to wire into certain events doesn't exist yet (yet they exist in v6). I've already gone down the v7 path with this project so I'm now creating my own custom blog solution so I can still work with it but it's taken far longer than I'd hoped (or budgeted).

Jan 21, 2014 @ 17:31
    Phill

@Sebastiaan, you say the APIs are identical, can you verify this? The ContentService.Creating is obsolete so the next closest thing is ContentService.Saving, but saving takes place too late in the process to setup initial values. I can set initial values in v6 with Creating but can't do this in v7. If they're identical, how does one achieve this? Or maybe I'm taking your "identical" comment too literaly, but any insight would be appreciated.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 21, 2014 @ 18:20
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Phill Any v6 APIs should still work and work the same as in v7, unless we specifically marked it as a breaking change (which I can't find any info on us breaking those events). So if they're not working then that's an oversight, maybe you're dealing with this issue (fixed in 7.0.1)?

Anyway, this is not what this topic is about. So if you have any problems with this event in 7.0.1+, leave a comment on the issue so we can have a look at it. Code samples help a lot.

Jan 21, 2014 @ 19:20
    Phill

Thanks Seb, sorry to hijack ;) have created a new topic over here...

• James Hayward 17 posts 37 karma points
    Jun 11, 2014 @ 01:41
    James Hayward

Hoping someone can guide me on my decission process...

We are in the final stages of a site build (travel site), and wondering if the current developers I have hired should be upgrading the versions from 6 to 7 before sign off?

I'm sensing restince from the current developers to make the upgrade, why my in house developer who will be managing the screws and bolts of site is saying that we should be upgrading?

Our final hosting will be on Windows Azure Server and we have a API to EAN (Expedia) which builds our booking engine for hotels.

My Options: 1. Move the new site as V6 to the final hosting 2. Push the current developers who have already blown out the budget and time frames to do the upgrade to v7 then move to the final hosting site. 3. Apply step 1. then have my in house developer upgrade the site to version 7 under

I should say the next stage of the site is that I want my current developer to help build a interface that allows for suppliers to login in and manage their properties details on our site. Would this be better experience for the suppliers under v7 or can it be done in v6.

Thanks in advance for your help J

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft