Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Harry Kakoulidis 17 posts 40 karma points
    Jan 23, 2014 @ 00:22
    Harry Kakoulidis

All macros in rich editor disappeared after upgrading from 6.10!!

After upgrading to 7.0.2 it appeard to me that everything was ok.

However on all pages that use macros, most macros disappeared from where they are inserted in the text in the rich text editor. This has happend to about 90% of the macros in all pages.

But the worst is that if on one of those pages with the disappeared macro I re-publish, the macro also disappears in the rendered page! This is a a big showstopper as the only way to fix this is to manually enter again the macro with the correct settings into each page and publish again.

Trying to figure out what is wrong, I found one page that happens to have 2 macros, the first disappeard, the second appears normally. Here is it's source from the editor's "source" button.

<!--?UMBRACO_MACRO disablezoom="1" height=""
    width="" folder="1353" macroAlias="IcGallery" ?-->
    <p class="statement">&Pi;&alpha;&rho;&alpha;&kappa;&omicron;&lambda;&omicron;&upsilon;&theta;&epsilon;ί&sigma;&tau;&epsilon;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <div class="umb-macro-holder mceNonEditable"><!-- <?UMBRACO_MACRO macroAlias="IcPager" /> --> <ins>Macro alias: <strong>IcPager</strong></ins></div>

Note that before the upgrade from v6 everything worked perfectly. What I am describing happend right after the upgrade.

I have noticed a pattern: The macros that don't appear (like the first one here) have parameters. The ones that seem ok did not have paramers.

Also note another problem in all the sources dumped from the source button of the editor: Before in v6, the 3d line would read (text in Greek)

<p class="statement">Παρακολουθήστε</p>

Now the greek letters are replaced with html encoded unicode description. It is valid html, but it makes the source code *very* hard to look at and work with if necessary! For example, if I want to manually enter a style class aroung a paragraph, it's impossible to find the paragraph I want in the text. Note that in the actual rendered page, the greek text is with normal characters, not html encoded.

Please help!

• Arjan Woldring 124 posts 231 karma points
    Jan 25, 2014 @ 12:22
    Arjan Woldring

I can confirm there is a problem with macro's in Rich Text Editor in Umbraco 7.0.2.

All the macro's worked perfectly fine in 7.0.1 but is broken in 7.0.2. But, to make it more difficult maybe, it's not with all macro's. What I noticed is that most macro's with paramaters are not rendering. The only reason I can think of is this difference:

The macro I have problems with in this case is a XSLT macro. This might be usefull. And yes, I'm still using one xslt macro ;)

7.0.1:

<div class="umb-macro-holder Sitemap mceNonEditable"><!-- <?UMBRACO_MACRO macroAlias="Sitemap" /> --> <ins>Macro alias: <strong>Sitemap</strong></ins></div> 

7.0.2:

<div class="umb-macro-holder mceNonEditable"><!-- <?UMBRACO_MACRO macroAlias="Sitemap" /> --> <ins>Macro alias: <strong>Sitemap</strong></ins></div>

After the umb-macro-holder class the alias of the macro isn't there anymore. Don't know if this is the problem but it's something that I noticed.

I saw this commit on github from shannon it seems to me that it might be related: f0573fc68c0f795622951bf922809436a661dca7 

If I can do anything to test or something. Please let me know because this is a big issue and need to be resolved quick.

• Shannon Deminick 1525 posts 5271 karma points MVP 2x
    Jan 25, 2014 @ 23:43
    Shannon Deminick

Hi, an issue with these details have been logged here:

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4142

@Harry, as for your first macro disappearing it's because the macro syntax that is shown is invalid:

Notice that it's ending is invalid, it should be closed properly like:

/> -->

instead of

?-->

Perhaps this is how the text has been persisted to the database for some reason? Not sure what's happening with the encoding part as you mention, please create an issue for that and we'll look into it. It might be how the new tinymce deals with non-ascii chars.

• Arjan Woldring 124 posts 231 karma points
    Jan 27, 2014 @ 10:27
    Arjan Woldring

I made two testcases/installations for you. And made the zip available for you to download. Link is in your email. 

Jan 27, 2014 @ 22:28
    Shannon Deminick

Thanks will have a look and update the issue in the coming couple weeks.

• Andreas Iseli 150 posts 427 karma points
    Aug 06, 2014 @ 09:34
    Andreas Iseli

Hallo Shannon

I've read the issue and I have a similar problem. After migrating from v6.1.x to v7.1.4, the macros disappear in the RTE. When having a look at the HTML source, they are still here and are also still being displayed on the published page:

<p> </p>
    <!--?UMBRACO_MACRO media="2195" macroAlias="ImageSlider" ?-->

As already metioned, not all macros are affected, but it also affects macros that do only have alphanumeric characters.

When editing the page, publishin again, the macros are no more displayed on the published page either. The Macro syntax, as also already mentioned, is wrong after migrating to v7. Do you already have some more information about this problem that is not related to the given issue above?

Currently the only workaround is to remove the macro "code" from the HTML source and adding it again, then its working perfectly.

Many Thanks
    Andreas 

Aug 06, 2014 @ 18:09
    Shannon Deminick

That macro syntax doesn't look formatted correctly. Have you by chance upgraded to 6.1 from some very old version? macro syntax looks like this:

Aug 06, 2014 @ 20:31
    Andreas Iseli

Yeah it is the formatting, but I don't know why this happens during the migration (standard procedure). The project has started with 6.0.3 and was upgraded once to 6.1.x so yes thats true.

Aug 06, 2014 @ 20:35
    Shannon Deminick

Which migration are you referring to?

Can you let us know what the syntax format was stored like when you were running 6.0.3, 6.1.x ? What I'm getting at, is was the macro syntax stored this way before trying to upgrade to 7.x?

Aug 06, 2014 @ 20:38
    Andreas Iseli

Unfortunately not, the latest backup is from version 6.1.6:

<div umb_macroalias="ImageSlider" umb_media="2195" ismacro="true" onresizestart="return false;" umbversionid="b42bec97-102a-4214-8831-e16e78dbb3c6" umbpageid="1064" title="This is rendered content from macro" class="umbMacroHolder"><!-- startUmbMacro --><span style="color: green;"><strong>Diashow</strong><br />No macro content available for WYSIWYG editing</span><!-- endUmbMacro --></div>
    Aug 06, 2014 @ 20:41
    Shannon Deminick

That appears to be the syntax in the html of the rte, but can you give me the stored value in the database for this rte field?

Aug 06, 2014 @ 20:49
    Andreas Iseli

Sure:

<content><![CDATA[<?UMBRACO_MACRO media="2195" macroAlias="ImageSlider" />]]></content>
    Aug 06, 2014 @ 20:52
    Shannon Deminick

Cool, that looks more normal. After you upgraded to 7.x and they stopped working, what does the syntax stored in the database look like ?

Aug 06, 2014 @ 20:57
    Andreas Iseli

It then looks like:

<content><![CDATA[<?UMBRACO_MACRO media="2195" macroAlias="ImageSlider" />]]></content>

Seems to be exactly the same :-)

Aug 06, 2014 @ 21:00
    Shannon Deminick

Ok so something else is not right. What does this stored value look like after you remove and re-insert the macro and it starts working again?

Aug 06, 2014 @ 21:11
    Andreas Iseli

After that it looks like

<content><![CDATA[<?UMBRACO_MACRO macroAlias="ImageSlider" media="2195" />]]></content>

Seems still to be the same, only the attributes have switched.

Aug 15, 2014 @ 22:06
    Shannon Deminick

That is the issue then, at some point Umbraco versions always put the macroAlias as the first attribute. In v7, the macro parser requires it to be the first attribute:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/7.1.5/src/Umbraco.Core/Macros/MacroTagParser.cs

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft