Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• devHaris 2 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 03, 2014 @ 11:33
    devHaris

MVC 4 with Umbraco 7.0.2 Web.Optimization problem

Hi! I've decided to learn a little more about Umbraco but have already stumbled into an error that i seem not to solve.

I create a new empty mvc 4 project and install the Umbraco CMS via Nuget. All works fine until that I want to use bundling and for that i need to install Web Optimization via Nuget. When trying to do this it causes and error where Newtonsoft.Json doesnt work well with Umbraco.core. The exact error is:

Install failed. Rolling back...

Updating 'Newtonsoft.Json 4.5.11' to 'Newtonsoft.Json 5.0.8' failed. Unable to find a version of 'UmbracoCms.Core' that is compatible with 'Newtonsoft.Json 5.0.8'. 

I understand the problem but how do i get around it? If i dont get this installed, how can i use bundling?

/Haris

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 03, 2014 @ 13:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Unfortunately we need to rely on an older version of Json.Net for compatibility with several packages.

You have 2 options:

• Have a look at the ClientDependency Framework, it does a lot of the same things and is bundled with Umbraco
    • Uninstall the current json.net version Uninstall-Package Newtonsoft.Json -Force from your package manager console, you should then be allowed to install the optimization framework

Of course with the last option, you might run into trouble later when you start installing packages.

The problem with supporting other versions of json.net is due to a crazy versioning scheme that they have which makes it very difficult for us to solve this issue out of the box. We're looking into it though and hope to have a solution at some point.

• devHaris 2 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 03, 2014 @ 17:09
    devHaris

Thank you very much, I'll have a look into ClientDependency :)

/Haris

• Pav 15 posts 45 karma points
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 17:16
    Pav

Just to all who had same problem

When you creating new project and want to use nuget to install umbraco.

* Create new empty project.

* Make sure is empty (remove all packages)

* Install umbraco

* Apply updates on any packages you want to update (might not work because backwards compatibility)

hope this helps

• John Ligtenberg 53 posts 214 karma points
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 15:32
    John Ligtenberg

You could also consider using a slightly older version of ASP.NET Web optimization, i.e. version 1.1.0

See: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.AspNet.Web.Optimization/1.1.0

You can install it through the Package Manager Console with the command:

Install-Package Microsoft.AspNet.Web.Optimization -Version 1.1.0

• Sean 12 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 14, 2014 @ 11:29
    Sean

Thanks John, I'd been stuck on this error but installing version 1.1.0 of the package was a quick and painless fix!

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Feb 14, 2014 @ 11:33
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Sean

I've successfully used the web optimisation framework in 6 and 7. So it was useful to find out there have been version clashes.

I'll stick with v1 for now!

Martin

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 16, 2014 @ 14:07
    Robert Foster

@Sebastiaan - Is there a list of packages available that's causing this versioning clash?  I'm frequently finding myself wanting to upgrade some of the Nuget packages due to wanting to install 3rd party Nugets that require newer versions, and would love a way to get around this as I'm sure would a lot of other people :)

Is there a plan at some point to effectively cut-off those legacy packages and "mark" them as not working with the current version of Umbraco?  Call it a Breaking Change?

alternatively, is there some sort of watch dog that can be put in place in the package installer that checks dll versions against a "blacklist" and refuses to install them, updating the bindingRedirect instead?

Ok, my late night ramblings are over - heading to bed.

- Rob.

Mar 16, 2014 @ 18:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Robert Unfortunately, we'll always be behind as we can't anticipate what new versions dependent packages are releasing. We're erring on the side of caution because we've seen major breakage before with packages updating. If you want to upgrade to a version that's not known to work with Umbraco then that's up to you, use the --Force .. :-)

We are trying really hard to conform to Semantic Versioning which means that we're only allowed to introduce breaking changes on major version. Sometimes we do it on minor or patch versions based on some "rules":

• hardly anybody is using this API so a breaking change won't be too problematic (but we REALLY REALLY want to avoid this reason most of the time!)
    • it is an extremely disruptive bug and we can only fix it by creating a breaking change
    • currently it's impossible to use this API so it's okay to make a breaking change in order to fix that
  • Pav 15 posts 45 karma points
    Mar 16, 2014 @ 20:30
    Pav

@Sebastiaan no-one expect your being always in front of all packages=> impossible

instead you could specify in your nuget packages specific version that you require or range. this way you will be able to avoid disappointed people.

I thing that would be nice middle ground, don't you think?

pav

Mar 17, 2014 @ 15:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Pav Yes, and that's what we have now, but some people are eager to use MVC 5, Web API 2, Json.Net 6, etc. All of which have breaking changes and will break parts Umbraco. Unfortunately we can't catch up fast enough and that's a pain.

Some packages will work, so try using the -Force command but for others we know that they will definitely break Umbraco.

We expect and hope that all packages that we depend on will not introduce breaking changes in their minor/patch releases so we've set the range to be higher than the current version but lower than the next major version.

Click for a larger version:
    enter image description here

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft