Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew Scerri 4 posts 45 karma points
    Feb 16, 2014 @ 01:35
    Matthew Scerri

Content Picker with start node

Hi there,

I have just started having a play around with Umbraco having worked with some other CMS products that are out there. 

I am facing an "issue" which I cannot get past and most solutions on the net don't seem to cater for Umbraco 7 (solutions indicate that using an Ultimate Picker data type is the solution but I don't think this is available for Umbraco 7 unless I'm really misunderstanding things). I thought I'd ask here as I may be incorrectly designing the structure of my sample web page for all I know.

Let's say I have a simple Page, which has a header, footer and content sections. I want the header and footer to be reused throughout my whole webpage.

I currently have the following setup:

Document Types:

BasePage with a Content RTF property. IndexPage inheriting BasePage with a Content Picker for a Header property.

Then I have a Content template (blank), Headers template (blank) as Content's child (these are there to offer structure and redirect to Index when accessed), and a Header template as the Headers child template with just a simple text field for now.

While this works okay, and I can render the Header from the IndexPage fairly easily using the Umbraco.RenderTemplate function, I'm struggling a bit to see how I can limit the selection within the IndexPage to only allow me to select content nodes residing within the Headers template instance.

While I understand that I can just chuck in the header properties within the BasePage template (and get rid of the content picker and do away with the complexity of this) I'm a bit concerned that this might mean that for a potentially large website the leaf nodes would have too many configurable fields so I'm trying to find a way to "contain them" within other templates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 17, 2014 @ 14:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hey Matthew, a few images of the setup might have been helpful to get a faster reply. As it stands my brain is hurting a little bit from imaging what your setup looks like :-)

So I'll suggest using the Multi Node Tree Picker (you can create one by creating a new datatype). The MNTP allows you to set up a start node using XPath, so it can by "dynamic" and then you can add a filter so that only certain document types can be picked. This is similar to what people used to do with the ultimate picker I think.

If that's not what you're after then a few screenshots would be very helpful in determining what it is you want to do exactly.

• Matthew Scerri 4 posts 45 karma points
    Feb 17, 2014 @ 15:04
    Matthew Scerri

Hi Sebastiaan,

Really sorry for causing your brain to hurt! but that's exactly what I needed! Thank you!! It also seems to be fairly customizable and scalable which is very good indeed.

Is there any documentation of all the custom data types that can be used and what they do?

Thanks and sorry again!

Matthew

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 17, 2014 @ 16:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

No worries Matthew, I took some aspirin and that cleared it right up! ;-)

We have a little bit of documentation on datatypes but that could be expanded upon (and should be updated for v7):

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Backoffice-Overview/Data-Types/

• Andreas Pfanner 196 posts 314 karma points
    Jun 17, 2015 @ 08:02
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi,

compared to the Ultimate Picker, Multi Node Tree Picker can't display the content nodes as Dropdown list (which would be a little more comfortable), right?

Best Regards Andreas

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 17, 2015 @ 08:14
    Hendy Racher

Hi, not sure on the exact requirements for this picker, but the nuPickers package might be worth looking at ? for example the xml dropdown picker can use content nodes as a datasource.

• Andreas Pfanner 196 posts 314 karma points
    Jun 17, 2015 @ 10:07
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi Hendy,

thanks for the hint. I'ved tried and can attest that the nuPickers package is amazing and fits my need very well!

Best Regards Andreas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft