Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Drew 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 23, 2014 @ 04:24
    Drew

Umbraco (7.0.4) on Azure via TFServices...

please save the rest of my sanity... i decided to go with umbraco a few days ago and i'm second guessing that decision now. I'm desperately hoping i'm just missing something very elementary. Some basic concept regarding how to work with umbraco. I've read a lot about it, but most of what is out there is outdated, so i've tried many permutations and combinations and still can't come up with it. I'm using the current version as of 2/22/2014, which is Umbraco 7.0.4, Visual Studio 2013, Team Foundation Services which is continuously deployed to an Azure Cloud Service and Azure SQL Database. If anyone wants details on how I've done it this far, i'm glad to detail because i haven't seen it anywhere else, and it took me a while to figure it out. But that's not the issue I have here. I need to figure out WHAT to deploy.

I can run it locally just fine (as i've read in other posts over and over again). I have a SSDT project in my solution which i use to capture database schema. The continuous deployment works beautifully, but when it goes to azure, i get endless errors.

First, i did update the WebApi version as detailed here (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/47382-Issue-Creating-Umbraco-7-project-in-VS-2013?p=1). I also included the global.asax file which nuget left out as indicated in other posts. I also got the permission denied errors described here (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21382683/umbraco-7-0-2-on-azure-cloud-service-access-to-the-path-e-sitesroot-1-config) so i implemented that work around as well. But now I'm getting the ever so helpful error "The service is unavailable". I've tried boostrapping the installation locally (e.g. run through the install wizard w/o installing a template), and also tried just deploying it after adding the nuget package, neither worked. The install process as well as customization adds dependencies on the disk as well as the database, so i don't know how far to go to get a clean deployment. Or rather, how to cleanly manage this on an ongoing basis.

The workflow is typical. I work locally, against (localdb)\Projects, to do development. Once i'm ready to go to staging, i sync the db schema (which is deployed via the CI build in TFServices), but what should i be deploying from the MVC app? I'm sure it's different in the beginning, before it's setup, vs once i have the db populated. But i can't get anywhere here.

I've instrumented my application with Application Insights from Visual Studio Online so i have the exceptions captured there. I'm happy to provide access to someone willing to dive deep.

Otherwise, thoughts? how should i be going about this moving from dev to staging/test to prod? None of the articles i've seen articulate this regarding what files to deploy where.

Feb 23, 2014 @ 04:35
    Drew

Lovely... I forgot to actually mention the current errors. They all revolve around missing files, most of which are in the umbraco directory which is also not included by nuget. I'm not sure they should be deployed with the app honestly. I can't imagine the nuget setup is so so far off/broken. Looks like they should only be used to bootstrap the install. So, i can just include every folder that the nuget package left out, but I'm guessing that's not the best way.

Feb 24, 2014 @ 22:48
    Drew

I started searching for some more basic questions about hosting on azure, and I'm now realizing this simply isn't a supported scenario. UAAS is supposed to address this, but unfortunately, based on the VERY limited info I can find, it looks like it's also going to dictate a version control system that you have to use (git)? that's unfortunate.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft