Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Mulder 79 posts 272 karma points c-trib
    Feb 26, 2014 @ 11:22
    Robert Mulder

Creating content without a Url

Hello everyone. I'm new to Umbraco so forgive me if this question has been answered before (I did search though, really!).

I'm faced with the following scenario. Our site has a bunch of tips on the site of many templates. Each tip has a title, short description and an image. I would like the management of tips to be separate from the rest of the site, or at least not linked to a single page, since each tip is used on many pages, not just one.

I was wondering if you could show me a general direction I should be looking at. So far I'm considering the following options:

Create a document type for tips and put it somewhere in the content tree. This has the advantage of being pretty easy to configure, just make a document type "Tip" with three fields and hook it up to say the Homepage. This will make editing easy, but as far as I know this will also mean that every tip gets an actual URL on the site. In addition, this will make it appear as though the tips are related to the homepage while they are used on many pages.

Another option may be to create a media type for it, but I'm not sure how to create custom media types, so any tips would be appreciated.

Alternatively I could create a separate tree for the tips including their own table. This would make it clear for the user that the tips are separate and also not generate any URLs for the tips, but this is quite a bit more work. I don't even know how I could make a custom editing page using an Image picker for instance.

Especially alternatives 1 and 3 seem to have some nasty downsides, but being new to Umbraco I'm sure I'm completely missing some key concept that makes this easy to accomplish. Therefore I turn to you for help.

Thanks in advance.

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 26, 2014 @ 12:09
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Robert,

What you could do is make a document type called Tips folder, and don´t make a template for this. After that  go to the sturture tab on this document type can click Allow at root. If you don´t see this option, is because that you´re using a version where all documentypes could be created at the root.

After you have done that create a new document type for the tip. Added the properties that you all ready did, and go back to the tips folder ducument type and allow tip document type as allowed child nodes.

Then you should be able to e.g make a list of tips document type and there make a macthing template. On the template you can add some markup for the list and insert a macro that renders all the tips in a list. It could be by using an XSLT, Razor or a Usercontrol.

Or you could take a look at the multi-node tree picker http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Backoffice-Overview/Property-Editors/Built-in-Property-Editors/Multi-Node-Tree-Picker with this you could let the customer choose which tips, that should be on the page. Dependent which Umbraco version you´re using the multi-node tree picker can be one of the build in data types. Can´t remember when it got into the core. If you don´t have it take a look at the uComponents http://ucomponents.org/

The place for the uComponents package: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/ucomponents

I hope this make sense and maybe gave you an idea how you could structure your tips, and how to get the data out in list e.g

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft