Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Kahn 602 posts 506 karma points
    Mar 04, 2014 @ 09:42
    Thomas Kahn

Hosting Umbraco 7 in a .NET Framework 4.0 environment? Possible?

Hi!

My internet service provider does not have support for ASP.NET 4.5 in their hosting solution - only 4.0. So I have a brand new and shiny Umbraco 7 web that I can't deploy. Now I want to check with you guys what my options are.

• Switch to another internet service provider. Yes - possbile but we're on a thight time schedule and this means redirecting domains and setting up the database and everything else a second time.
    • Downgrade. I don't even know if this is possible? Of course I could always set up a second, parallell Umbraco 6 web and manually transfer all the templates, XSLT's, macros etc. This would take some time though.
    • Some magic option that I haven't thought of? *smile*

All pointers and recommendations from other developers that have faced the same problem are more than welcome!

/Thomas

• Arie 224 posts 675 karma points
    Mar 05, 2014 @ 14:15
    Arie

Based on the documentation, I'd say that it's not possible to downgrade from 7 to 6. If you have a copy of the database you used for version 6.x you could use that, of course - but that's technically not downgrading.

In addition, I don't think you could run it on .NET 4.0. Even if you found a way you'll likely run into problems.

By the way, you mentioned XSLT. It would be worth considering making the switch to MVC/Razor.

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Apr 02, 2015 @ 07:00
    John Palmer

Hi Thomas,

Based on your experience above, you cant use the latest Umbraco because they dont support .net 4.5. If you insist using the newest Umbraco version, then you need to find other hosting provider that support .net 4.5. You can find the recommendation here at https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/trying-out-umbraco-before-you-install/recommended-hosting-providers. I have good experience with asphostportal.com for umbraco hosting

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft