Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David W. 159 posts 284 karma points c-trib
    Mar 11, 2014 @ 09:43
    David W.

Best practices for vertical sites

Nowadays it's quite common with sites with a lot of informaion on a single page , split up in sections (not seldom with a parallax effect). The new umbraco.com is one example. One secion type is a three-column with a header and parapraph, another section is a image spanning across with some text on the side etc.

Is there a best practice for how to design this scenario in Umbraco Backoffice? A good editor perspective is perhaps to have a documenttype for each type of section and have editors create theese as childnodes of the "actual" page.

Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

/D

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Mar 11, 2014 @ 09:51
    Dan Lister

I'd say you are on the right lines for the best editing experience. Child nodes of the home page sounds like a good idea. One other approach would be to create a Content Repository outside of your site. So for example, another node containing only resuable content.

• Content
      • Home
      • Content Repository
        • Section 1
        • Section 2
        • Section 3
    Mar 11, 2014 @ 09:56
    David W.

Thanks Dan,

So you mean the repository conatins sections already filled with content? And then I can pick theese (using a contentpicker) from my home page?

/D

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Mar 11, 2014 @ 09:59
    Dan Lister

The Content Repository could contain as many sections as you/the editor likes. The idea behind the structure is to separate pages and content. The other benefit is that you could reuse sections in the Content Repository on other pages. On the home page, you could have Content Picker properties to allow editors to select sections from the Content Repository.

• Jamie Gilbert 8 posts 39 karma points
    Mar 11, 2014 @ 17:50
    Jamie Gilbert

I have started to structure my vertical sites as follows

Page
        Web parts
            Web part 1
            Web part 2
            Web part 3

Then I have some code to pull the sections in to the page from the web parts folder.

Each Section consists of a document type and partial view.

The master page will scan the web parts folder and render the document type using the partial view to the page, you can also specify a caching period at this point.

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoTemplatePage

@foreach (var webPartFolder in Model.Content.Children.Where(x => x.DocumentTypeAlias == "WebParts"))
    {
        foreach (var webPart in webPartFolder.Children)
        {
            string webPartType = webPart.DocumentTypeAlias;
            @Html.Partial(webPartType, webPart);
        }
    }

Any good?

Mar 19, 2014 @ 17:54
    David W.

Thanks. I am currently using a simular solution as Jamies. I have some doubts in using nodes to represent parts of a page in this way, but I guess there aren't much options when it comes to creating dynamic length vertical pages (in any system)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft