Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• WillC 3 posts 23 karma points
    Mar 17, 2014 @ 03:02
    WillC

Thumbnails in Umbraco 7

I am converting over a Umbraco 4.9 project to Umbraco 7. In the old version, the media contents tab displays a 50x50 (on biggest value) thumbnail of each image when in a folder. I am using the _thumbnail versions of the image to display in the frontend. I do not know if this behaviour is from a package I installed or from the base Umbraco install.

In Umbraco 7, the media content section displays the full size image, which is very bad UI. How can I make it work like in the old version where it displays the thumbnails in the media browser?

Next, I installed ImageGen and notice that it is now creating 2 additional images on upload (...big-thumb.jpg and ...thumb.jpg). This would be working for my frontend needs but both are sized at 500 x 334px, which is too big for a thumbnail. Is there some some configuration that I can set?

Thanks, Will

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 17, 2014 @ 12:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi WillC and welcome to our :)

The _Thumbnail is generated on upload by Umbraco and is usually the one being displayed in the backoffice. This does also get generated on v7 installations as far as I can tell. However it seems a big thumbnail version of the image is being shown instead. This is probably due to some design changes in the belle project.

I don't neccesarily agree that displaying a larger image is bad UI since the previous thumbnails were pretty small and it could be hard to figure out what the image would look like if picked in the content section. Now the larger view makes it a bit easier imho.

I'm not sure where to change this behaviour in the core but I would not advice on changig it since you'll need to change this if/when you need to upgrade Umbraco to a newer version. Don't you think it's really just a matter of getting used to all the new UI stuff? If you still think it's an issue you could try and create an issue at the issue tracker here http://issues.umbraco.org/issues - Then the Umbraco HQ can get notified and decide if it's something that should be changed and other people can vote it up and add comments.

Not sure about the imagegen issue though? But perhaps you can change the default behaviour by going to the imageGen.config file and make your changes. I can't remember where it's stored once ImageGen is installed but a quick search in the Umbraco folder should return it.

Hope this helps! :)

/Jan

Mar 18, 2014 @ 03:00
    WillC

Thanks, Jan. 

I think there could be some modernization of the old media design, such as a greater difference the various display sizes, perhaps with and without text, but ultimately I think there was real value in the way it was before. It is very difficult to dealt with now if there are more than a few images.

It seems that others have thought this too as there are other requests to restore this feature in the issue tracker which have been dismissed as a "design decission". I will add another issue to the Issue Tracker with this request.

In the ImageGen configuration, is there is a  way to control the thumbnails generated at upload?  The parameters in the ImageGen.config file do not seem to relate to the thumbnails. Here is the ImageGen.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <ImageGenConfiguration>
    <Registration>

<!-- ImageGen Professional is always available on localhost and *.local domains -->

<Key domain="example.com">436DA8888A3BBC98662B23C6D1B635543E762854</Key>

<Key domain="sample.com">55FD8FD97A199AB3082BC7DC11AE5F743B092C55</Key>

</Registration>

<RemoteDomainWhiteList>

<Domain>www.sample.com</Domain>

</RemoteDomainWhiteList>

<!-- SAMPLE NAMED CLASSES, INCULDING THE SPECIAL 'DEFAULT' CLASS -->

<Class Name="default" OverridesQueryString="true">

<AllowUpsizing>true</AllowUpsizing>

<MaxHeight>800</MaxHeight>

<MaxWidth>800</MaxWidth>

</Class>

<Class Name="Thumbnail" OverridesQueryString="true">

<InheritFromClass>default</InheritFromClass>

<Constrain>true</Constrain>

<Width>50</Width>

<Height>50</Height>

<!--<CachingTimeSpan>3600</CachingTimeSpan> -->

</Class>

</ImageGenConfiguration>

After installing ImageGen, these images are automatically generated in each media folder after an upload are: originalName.jpg (800x533), originalName_big-thumbnail.jpg (500x333) and originalName_thumbnail.jpg (500x333). It would be really helpful to be able to control these sizes and would solve my needs.

Mar 18, 2014 @ 21:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi WillC

I Just saw a conversation on twitter where another guy asked Per about why the large image is being used instead of the thumbnail and seems to actually be a mistake, which will be fixed with the release of v7.1 as far as I can tell.

You can't control the image size of uploaded images using imageGen. It's only possible to control image scaling of images used on the website with imagegen.

Currently there is no way to create crops of the images, which was possible with CropUp for Umbraco < 7 - However in 7.1 there will be an image cropper in the core - I have not tried it out myself yet but I expect it will probably work something like CropUp.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Mar 22, 2014 @ 03:58
    WillC

Thanks for the info, Jan. That is good news!

Mar 22, 2014 @ 10:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi WillC

You're welcome. In fact I was wrong about v7 in terms of "currently there is no way". There is no way out of the box but actually Jeavon made an image cropper for 7.0.x, which you can download here http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/v7-image-cropper

/Jan

Mar 22, 2014 @ 10:39
    Jan Skovgaard

...Argh hit the "Submit" button too fast there - The core team and Jeavon has been cooperating on the implementation so the native cropper in 7.1 is working much like the one that can be installed from the package.

/Jan

• Bipin Kataria 29 posts 60 karma points
    Jul 26, 2016 @ 01:40
    Bipin Kataria

If you want thumbnail in Media section for SVG file, just add below code in umbracoSettings.config > Content tag:

<imaging>

<!-- what file extension that should cause umbraco to create thumbnails -->

<imageFileTypes>jpeg,jpg,gif,bmp,png,tiff,tif,svg</imageFileTypes>

</imaging>

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft