Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Sørensen 102 posts 327 karma points
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 10:03
    Dan Sørensen

copy Relate to original

Is it just me or does this function not work in umbraco 7.0.3. when I make a related copy shouldn't it always relate with the content ? or is it me that understands it worng

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 12:10
    Jeroen Breuer

The issue should be fixed in 7.0.2: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-3897

By default it's not related: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4303

Jeroen

Mar 19, 2014 @ 13:46
    Dan Sørensen

when I make a copy with related to original checked it's still like just making a normal copy the content doesn't follow the original ?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 19, 2014 @ 13:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

All that "relate to original" does is actually just to set a flag in the database. So in order to have a page from site A also update on site B you would need to do some integration with the Umbraco API if that is what you're after?

There was an old example of this from around 2009/2010 on how to do this...I can try and see if I can digg it up if this is what you're after.

/Jan

Mar 20, 2014 @ 09:30
    Dan Sørensen

So you say related to original does nothing else than make a database flag. I thought it did a little more than that. so then you would have to do something like if updated node have related flag then update related to ? something like that ? If it's possible to change all nodes by changing one of the related copies even if it's not the original that would be the best solution for my problem.

I whould love to get a solution for that.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 10:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

I managed to digg up the example I was thinking about. Turns out it was from 2009 - You can see it her http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2009/3/25/microsoft-translator-and-umbraco.aspx - There is a video of what it's doing and under the video theres is a link to the zip file with the code. However it's not guaranteed that the code would just work out of the box since it's hooking up on som Microsoft API, which I guess you're not and it's probably using the old API in v 4.0.x - As you know a lot has happened since then.

However I hope it might give you an idea or inspire you on how you could achieve the same thing, that you need to do.

Hope this helps..

/Jan

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Jan 11, 2015 @ 18:20
    Craig100

I've just come up with this after copying a V7.2.1 site for another language. I thought the intention was that if you checked it, then anything you changed in site A was applied to site B as well.

The version 7 Editor's Manual says: "When you select ‘Relate copied items to the original page’ every change you make to the copied page will also be made to the original. So if you want the original and duplicated pages to be separate then do not select the ‘Relate copied items to the original page’ tick box."

So it's the other way around funnily enough, the opposite of a Master/Slave relationship. However, what sort of changes are we talking about here? Content, doctype, properties? I just changed content in one and nothing happened in the other, either way round. Should it have?

If the "Relate to Original" does NOTHING but set a DB flag, that isn't used anywhere, why have it at all? It's just a bit of confusing UI.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Craig

• Gerhard Grossberger 54 posts 178 karma points
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 09:15
    Gerhard Grossberger

This is really helpfull for navigation, so you can jump to the same page in another language. It also makes sense for SEO integration, so product informations can correctly be tagged with HREF-Lang.

One question I have is if it is possible to add/alter the relation after a page has been created, and also if it is possible to view this relation somewhere in CMS.

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 10:32
    Craig100

You can alter the relationship in the database (carefully) by hand or build a UI to do it in the back office. I did the latter but it's only a very basic UI for site home pages at the "Content" level of the main tree. A row for each site with a label for the site in question and a dropdown of all the sites with the site's related parent site selected. Changing the dropdown changes the parent relationship. Basic, but works.

HTH

Craig

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Mar 09, 2017 @ 16:09
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Have a look at this package: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/umbraco-relation-editor/

It makes it very easy to create relations after a page has been created.

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft