Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Beau D'Amore 29 posts 70 karma points
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 21:42
    Beau D'Amore

how do I change the default tab icon

Hello,

www.beausallstarmechanical.com is a site I've been working on.

If you view it, notice the home page has an icon in the tab (the default "U" umbraco icon...

I made a new icon correctly using a service, added the code correctly to the templates, and it works fine when you make a bookmark... but not in the tab in Chrome.

Hit the home page and nav anywhere and you will see what I mean.

The default "U" is there in the tab on homepage, but nothing shows on other pages...

I am using the WebAndMobile package from our.umbraco and understand I have to change the mobile template as well as the regular template.

I put the following code in the master template, commenting out the previous stock code... and the "U" still shows and mine doesn't... searched and googled my arse off... no go... help? I'm about ready to launch this computer into the toilet...

<link rel="icon" href="../favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"> 

<!--OLD-- <link rel="icon" href="images/favicon.gif" type="image/x-icon"/>-->

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>

<![endif]-->

<!--OLD-- <link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/favicon.gif" type="image/x-icon"/>-->

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="../favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 22:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Beau

The Umbraco favicon is not shown when I access your site using Chrome. I see somthing else that looks like it's saying "ac" or something.

I think it's the cache that is teasing you. Try opening the site in another browser like Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera or Safari and I'm sure you'll see the correct icon.

I've seen this a lot of times and to make sure the favicon is indeed overwritten correctly I always check in other browsers.

I think that if you run Chrome in incognito mode you should be able to see the correct favicon.

But as I mentioned the rest of the world is seeing your icon and not the default U :)

Hope this helps.

/Jan 

• Bjarne Fyrstenborg 1280 posts 3990 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 22:46
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

Hi Beau

As Jan mention you might need the clear the browser data or at least the cache. Sometimes you could just visit the link to the favicon, in your case: http://www.beausallstarmechanical.com/favicon.ico an refresh the page, where you should see the favicon.

Then if you refresh the different pages, you should see the favicon.. otherwise check the source code and click the favicon link (the browsers usually highlight the links in source code) ... then you can make sure that the path is valid.. e.g. I noticed on http://www.beausallstarmechanical.com/news/ is linking relative to favicon.icon, but that relative path is relative to /news .. so it become: http://www.beausallstarmechanical.com/news/favicon.ico, which don't exists.

So you can make sure it goes to the root with adding "/" in front: <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

Usually I just inlcude these references to favicons (the normal 16x16px or 32x32px and some for apples devices:

<!-- Standard fav icon -->
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
    <!-- Standard iPhone -->
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="57x57" href="/favicon114.png" />
    <!-- Retina iPhone --> 
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="114x114" href="/favicon114.png" />
    <!-- Standard iPad --> 
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="72x72" href="/favicon144.png" />
    <!-- Retina iPad --> 
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="144x144" href="/favicon144.png" />

/Bjarne 

Please Sign in or register to post replies