Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Marcel Berberich 11 posts 33 karma points
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 17:43
    Marcel Berberich

What is the minimum browser version required for Umbraco Backend UI

Hi all.

We had a very tough time explaining one of our customers why they will not be able to use the fancy new Umbraco 7 UI with IE9. They have strict restrictions upon the software they are allowed to use. Fortunately they agreed to apply for a special approval to their IT department to install and use Firefox for the purpose of content management.

My question is: What exactly is the minimum Firefox version fully compliant for the Umbraco 7 backend.
    The release notes only say "Umbraco 7 requires browsers with proper html 5 support, these include Chrome, Firefox, IE10+". I know that the backend will run with the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome, but I need to know for sure, what is the minimum version to use, as it's pretty certain that our customer will be limited on some versions here as well.

Thank's for your reply!
    Best, Marcel

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 18:04
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

I don't really know from what Firefox version v7 is required, but why not just say they need to use the latest version of Firefox? If the IT department allows Firefox it's best to have the newest version.

Jeroen

• Marcel Berberich 11 posts 33 karma points
    Apr 01, 2014 @ 08:38
    Marcel Berberich

Hi Jeroen. Thx for your reply. From a developer point of view the decision to use just the latest version of Firefox seems to be pretty obvious, I agree.
    But as I described above, our client is really restricted in what they are allowed to use and just as the IT department doesn't allow to install the latest version of IE (which would also be fine for U7 I guess), they may also be restricted in the version of Firefox they are allowed to install.

So we need to know which version would be the minimum version. When comparing some of the versions at html5test.com (http://html5test.com/compare/browser/firefox-17/firefox-19/firefox-20/firefox-25/firefox-28.html) I see that Firefox 19 already support most HTML5 features. But as we don't know about the quality of implementation in detail, it's hard for us to decide which one would be sufficent for U7.

As I saw in your issue tracker at http://issues.umbraco.org at least some of your guys are working with Firefox 25 (and having some issues ;). Is this the earliest version some of you have used or did someone else maybe already tried an older one.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft