Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alan Mac Kenna 147 posts 405 karma points MVP c-trib
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 01:30
    Alan Mac Kenna

Umbraco 7.1 - Images uploaded using Image Cropper & Upload Datatypes

First of all really enjoying this release. Thank you to all involved. Big achievment for Umbraco.

A couple of things I've noticed on first pass with the Image Cropper & Image Upload Datatypes - when I select to upload media through using these properties on the Content Node the item doesn't seem to get created in the Media Section. It is in the folders on disk but does not appear in the Media Section.

Also a small point on the Image Cropper - it's not too obvious what crop you are editing as the crop name does not appear above the crop - only when you hover over it via an href title tag.

I am running it from VS on IIS Express. Installed through NuGet and using SQL CE.

Thanks!

Alan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 08:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Alan

1: When you're using the Upload datatype on a document type the image or file uploaded has never been accessible in the media section. It has been working like that from at least version 2 :) - So if you need to have access to uploaded medias make sure to upload them in the media section rather than using the upload datatype. (Even though, as you say, that things uploaded that way is also in the media folder on the disk - it's always been like that).

2: Regarding the issue with the image cropper I will encourage you to file a feature request on the http://issues.umbraco.org/issues since others can the add their comments, wote it up etc. and the core team has a chance of notifying the issue and decide to do something about it to improve the experience using the image cropper.

Hope this helps :)

/Jan

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 09:08
    Per Ploug

As Jan says, things uploaded on a content item doesnt show up in media, if you want to do that, just put the cropper on the image media type and you get the same functionality.

Good points about identifying what crop you are working on, please add it to the tracker so we can get it implemented :)

Apr 04, 2014 @ 18:31
    Alan Mac Kenna

Thanks Jan/Per,

I guess I've never used the Upload or Cropper type directly on a content node before. If people do choose to do this though I can see an issue with orphaned files. If an initial upload is made, but then removed, the file still exists on the filesystem but is attached to nothing and isn't usable through the Media Section. Over time the file system could get messy.

Another issue with Cropper I've noticed is that if after you upload an image and the auto-crops are created, you customise the crops but then subsequently remove the image and upload a new one in its place that the previous custom crops are used and dragging the focal point around the image to adjust the default crop centering has no affect. I would expect that if an image is removed then the custom crop settings should be reset and the focal point selector will work again. I'll log this as well if it's an actual issue.

Thanks for your responces.

• Matthew 138 posts 201 karma points
    Apr 06, 2014 @ 20:04
    Matthew

Is the issue of orphaned upload files something that will be addressed, or is it already addressed in some other way?  Is it considered a non-issue? 

Or is it generally just a better idea to always upload media in the media section?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 06, 2014 @ 23:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew

As I wrote in my former post above - it's the way it's always been working. I think it makes good sense that it's not accessible in the media section - But if you think it should be changed you can always try to make a feature request about it on the issue tracker.

To me it makes sense that if I upload a specific file on a specific node then it can only be accessed from that specific node. I would be surprised to see it being created in the media section as well when I did not upload it there.

In most cases I would upload medias to the media section anyway and then use a media picker to select them or point to a folder from, which I want to have media listed.

Hope this answers your question.

/Jan

Apr 07, 2014 @ 02:10
    Alan Mac Kenna

Jan I agree with you. But I do think that if you remove the image that it should be removed from the file system also.

Best,

Alan.

• Matthew 138 posts 201 karma points
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 02:17
    Matthew

Yes, that's what I meant, just about what happens to the image if you delete the node.  I've uploaded some pretty big images for the top of pages before and never thought about what happened to them after the node was deleted.  Makes me think I have some manual maintenance to do now...

• Paul Haslam 1 post 21 karma points
    May 07, 2014 @ 13:44
    Paul Haslam

Hi all

Can I ask if the Image Cropper now available in v7.1 is working and bug free?
    We seem to be able to set multiple crop sizes which is great. But we are having difficulty inserting the relevant crop size on the correct page.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

May 07, 2014 @ 16:05
    Alan Mac Kenna

Hi Paul,

Can you show a code sample of how you are trying to retrieve the crop?

Alan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft