Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Wiebe Tijsma 16 posts 92 karma points
    Apr 05, 2014 @ 21:10
    Wiebe Tijsma

old Newtonsoft.Json (JSON.NET) is incompatible with WindowsAzure.Storage and other packages

Hi,

I'm just getting started with umbraco and porting an existing website, but I'm having trouble installing some recent packages due to the Newtonsoft.JSON restriction in the Umbraco.Core nuspec, I need to have the latest version of WindowsAzure.Storage, and it requires Newtonsoft.Json (≥ 5.0.6).

There's other packages complaining too though, WebGrease

Is there any chance umbraco is updating soon, does anyone know of any forks that already support this, other workarounds?

I've created a branch for this in which the unit tests seem to run fine, but I'd prefer to stick to the umbraco nuget packages:

https://github.com/zidad/Umbraco-CMS/compare/update-newtonsoft-json?expand=1

Could at least be the .nuspec restrictions be less tight to leave it up to the user to pick a package version, or are there actual known issues with newer versions of JSON.NET and Umbraco?

Thanks!

Wiebe

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 05, 2014 @ 21:47
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Wiebe,

There is a thread on why it is like this here http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-3779

The good news is the Umbraco works fine with JSON v5, you just need to "hack" the nuspec file for Umbraco to lift the restriction.

The other good news is that JSON.net v6 appears to have resolved the crazy reason why Umbraco couldn't support JSON.net v5 anyway so hopefully Umbraco will update to v6 sometime soon.

Jeavon

Apr 06, 2014 @ 20:53
    Wiebe Tijsma

Hi Jeavon,

Thanks!

Hacking the nuspec files seems to have worked, I'm running 7.1.0 with JSON.NET 6 and haven't seen any issues.

Just got started with Umbraco, and I must say it looks great so far!

Wiebe

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 10:43
    Jeavon Leopold

That's great, it certainly worked perfectly with v5 so I would hope for the same with v6. The major problems were for those who has JSON.net in their GAC.

Just remember to rehack the nuspec files if you ever upgrade or use package restore.

Jeavon

• Mark Mitchell 35 posts 60 karma points
    May 15, 2015 @ 02:57
    Mark Mitchell

I have a site running Umbraco 6.1.6 that is experiencing this same issue due to the Google Data API's requiring JSON.NET V6.  Can you please elaborate how to hack the nuspec files to loosen up the Umbraco version requirements?  I haven't been able to find the info anywhere, or by poking around in the files.

Thank you!

EDIT: And I realize this is the v7 forum, but I wasn't able to find any info in the v6 vorums on it, and this thread seems like the exact same issue.   : )

May 18, 2015 @ 14:42
    Wiebe Tijsma

Hi Mark,

The nuget packages (*.nupkg) in your .\packages* folder are just zip files, you can extract them and re-zip them.

Quite a nasty hack, but it works. Also make sure Visual Studio is not running, it caches the package information.

Let me know if you need some more info!

Wiebe

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft