Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phyxion 6 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 12:36
    Phyxion

Inserting images using the media picker, default width of 500px

How can we remove this 'feature' that inserted images are automatically resized to 500px in width? We just want to have the original size inserted and resize it ourselves if we actually want it to.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 12, 2014 @ 21:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Phyxion

Are you thinking about images that are inserted into the rich text editor?

If so then you should go to "Developer -> Datatypes" and then find the tinymce datatype/property editor and change the settings for with and height of selected images there.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Phyxion 6 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 10:22
    Phyxion

Yes, the images that are inserted into the rich text editor indeed. I removed the 500 there now, let's see if it works. Thanks.

• Antony Briggs 78 posts 103 karma points
    Apr 22, 2014 @ 17:56
    Antony Briggs

Hi Jan/Phyxion,

I don't seem to have the the "Max insertion width" property of the RTE in Umbraco 7? How did you guys solve this?

TTFN

Apr 22, 2014 @ 21:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Antony

You need to go to "Developer" -> "Datatypes" and then click on your "Rich text editor" datatype/property editor and then in the right at the bottom there is a label named "Dimensions" where the height is by default set to 500 - This should simply be removed and then saved. Then it will not occur on the pages in the content area.

Hope this makes sense.

/Jan

Apr 23, 2014 @ 10:51
    Antony Briggs

Hi Jan,

Thanks for replying - however, the "Dimensions" prevalue of the RTE in U7 only controls the size of the TinyMCE area while editing the content - the extra "Max size to insert images" prevalue that used to exist in U6 and prior is missing!

I've not had chance to see if this has been added to the U7 backlock yet...

Apr 23, 2014 @ 10:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Steve

Aaah yes! You're right about that - I got them confused with each other.

Mind creating an issue about this on the issue tracker? If you do please share the url to it in here.

/Jan

Apr 23, 2014 @ 11:29
    Antony Briggs

Hi Jan,

Actually, I think I'm mixing up two separate issues

There's issue U4-4729 which covers what we've discussed above.

My issue is that I want the ability to not set a width & height on an inserted image at all - Thats because my current site is resopnsive to the images within the content area are controlled with css width:100%.

I thought that you could "clear out" the with & height values in the MCE dialog of U4/6 but I've just checked and you can't - so this wouldn't have worked there either.

I think as this is an application specific issue I'd be better of parsing the HTML at runtime and stripping out the image attributes. Or maybe strip them out in the RTE. Either way it's not an Umbraco issue :)

Thanks for being my rubber duckie!

Apr 23, 2014 @ 11:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Antony

Ehm, what's a rubber duckie? :D

Currently in your CSS you should use max-width:100% and height:auto - this ensures that the image keeps the aspect ratio and that it's never upscaled as it will be when using width:100%. Just a small tip even though it does not solve the core issue of dealing with images inserted in the rich text editor.

/Jan

Apr 23, 2014 @ 11:38
    Antony Briggs

Rubber duck debugging

That's all there is to say :)

Apr 23, 2014 @ 11:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Haha, thanks! :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies