Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew 138 posts 201 karma points
    Apr 11, 2014 @ 01:38
    Matthew

Can't delete template after deleting/recreating in VS and/or Umbraco...

Learning how to use VS for Umbraco, I goofed up and deleted a template/*cshtml file from Umbraco or VS, not really sure which was first.  Now when I try to create it in Umbraco, it wants to give it an alias of Template1, with the '1' added on.  If I try to edit that '1' off there, it says it can't and to check the logs.

I have a recent backup and can restore it back but I'd rather not if I don't have to and it seems like a good idea to know what the steps to clean this up would be in a real world scenario.

I'd seen posts about similar issues with this before and mostly have been paying attention to make sure things are sync'd/refreshed/reloaded as I go but this time I got in a bit of a rush and did too many things at once.  My bad.  Any way to save it?

Thanks,

Matthew

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 11, 2014 @ 08:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew

What version of Umbraco did you do this on?

And did you in fact check the logs to see if it reveals some usefull information?

/Jan

• Matthew 138 posts 201 karma points
    Apr 11, 2014 @ 16:57
    Matthew

This was a new one on 7.1.1, and the errors were telling me it couldn't reconcile the IDs with the template names, so along with it renaming the template alias, I just assumed I'd pulled the rug/template out from under it in VS and internally, it still had an ID for that template name so when I tried to remake it, it politely ratcheted the alias up an increment to avoid a duplicate. I saved it and can go back and look at the logs but I also realized that I hadn't backed up the SQLexpress db when I backed up the site, which was more of a procedural oversight than I wanted under a brand new site, so I just started fresh.

I thought it might be a common enough way to screw up that there might be a somewhat standard recovery process to try. I don't want anyone to waste any time on it though. If there's anything already on the books about saving your butt from hosing yourself, I think it could be useful to know.  Otherwise, TGIF!

Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft