Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ashkan Taravati 17 posts 37 karma points
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 21:15
    Ashkan Taravati

runtime error when visiting a node under homepage

Hi we've been using umbraco7 as our CMS for weeks. We use txt starter kit but erased many parts of it for our own preference. We are still quite amateurs and we always have problems with web.config files. Recently when i created some subpages under homepage, i noticed that they don't work and show runtime errors. We also have problems in featured pages and page direction (because it is a persian website an needs to be rtl) and we also don't know how to use membership in umbraco This is our address: www.engare.info We most appreciate any help Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 21:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ashkan and welcome to our :)

Ok there is a lot going on in the post above. So let's try to breake it down a bit.

1: What exact version of Umbraco 7 are you using? If it's a previous version of Umbraco 7.0.x I would suggest upgrading to the latest release, which is 7.1.1 - If you're still playing around with it trying to learn Umbraco it might be a good idea to simply start from a clean installation rather trying to fix the existing instance - Also there is a new member API etc. so member in v7 does not work untill Umbraco 7.1 really.

Now if you are already using the latest version of Umbraco 7 or don't want to upgrade for some reason then please answer the following

2: What problems is it exactly you're having with the web.config? And could you show some examples of the error messages you're seeing? Those error message may happen because you're deleting some of the starter kit perhaps without thinking about other references thay might need to be deleted/modified as well.

3: You should be able to control the reading direction by adding the the dir attribute on the html tag like <html dir="rtl"> for the frontend view. Not sure if this reading direction is supported in the backoffice though (Have never tried since I'm not used to working with editor that have that requirement.

I hope this helps and looking forward to hearing more from you.

/Jan

• Ashkan Taravati 17 posts 37 karma points
    Apr 16, 2014 @ 14:29
    Ashkan Taravati

Hi Jan thanks for your response I checked the version.It is Umbraco 7.0.4. I'll need help upgrading my umbraco I also have to say that each time a web application requires web.config file modification, i really don't know what to do. for example, I have uploaded MVC Forum on a subdomain of my website,when I loaded the page to install it, it said that i have to prepare a database and a useri did but i couldn't configure the connectionstring correctly so i got runtime error.again,one before i was installing a package on my umbraco and it faild,showing runtime error so i had to reinstall the whole website! we have worked on our css and template so i really feel disapointed about doing it again. what do you suggest now? please visit our website and see everything for yourself Thanks Ashkan engare.info

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 16, 2014 @ 16:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ashkan

I think you need to keep things seperate here.

1: You need to upgrade Umbraco - And doing that you need to read this documentation - And make sure you make a backup of both your database and your files BEFORE doing anything. When this is done follow the steps from the upgrade documentation.

2: You're trying to integrate MVC forum with your Umbraco installation? Well that should be possible but I'm no expert on that area so I don't know what it takes. A lot of integration needs web.config modification for different reasons and I think it might be better to try and learn more about the web.config by googling.

But if you could break it down and focus on one issue at a time it will be a lot easier to point you in the right direction :)

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft