Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Desley 44 posts 169 karma points
    Apr 22, 2014 @ 10:58
    Desley

Filtering in the Content Section

Hi everyone,

I have been looking around for answers and everytime I come to the conclusion that 90% of the documentation is outdated. So I end up here.

I have a folder in the content section where I want to have alfabetical filtering, similar to the Members folder in the Member section.

I tried googling but all I find is how to create a custom section, which I prefer I wouldn't have to do.

If anyone can get me started with some documentation or examples, it would be appreciated.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 22, 2014 @ 11:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Desley

May I ask why you need this in the content section? What are you going to use it for?

Usually people just create their own content repositories, which they then build and maintain as a root node without any hostname in the content section.

So if you need folders you could create a folder document type in the settings section and then you could create the document types, which should be allowed in a folder.

Then you could structure it like this

Content repo (Based on folder document type) - A (Folder) - Some content (Whatever document type that is allowed in a folder) - B (Folder) - C (Folder) - Etc.

Does this make sense?

If you're looking for documentation on how to create custom section and trees Markus has written some good blog posts on how to get started here: http://www.enkelmedia.se/blogg/2013/11/22/creating-custom-sections-in-umbraco-7-part-1.aspx

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 22, 2014 @ 14:11
    Desley

Sorry I am not quite following. Let me try to explain myself a little better.

On the website members can create a thread which create their own content item in Umbraco. They all get saved in a ThreadOverview folder/page in Umbraco.

Other than the above, there is 1 more plain content page in the content section. Therefore it seems kind of unnecessary to create a new section to split these 2.

Next I want to add filtering to the ThreadOverview folder/page in the exact same way as Umbraco already does on his own in the Member section when you create a new Member. It gets saved in the appropiate folder, i.e. if you name the Member Jan it would be saved in the folder J.

Meaning the filtering code is already in place (altho I have no clue where). I want to use this exact same filtering system for my own folder, it doesn't even need to be altered in any way.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Apr 22, 2014 @ 18:27
    Amir Khan

Desley, are you looking for something like uDateFoldersy but alphabetical? Or do you just need the alphabetical folder nodes so you can find things easily? If it's the latter, a list view might do what you need.

Apr 23, 2014 @ 09:48
    Desley

The latter. EXACTLY how the Members folder is structured, for each letter in the alfabeth a folder and the members get saved in the appropiate folder.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft