Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gert 81 posts 288 karma points
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 20:16
    Gert

I'm not able to insert a new link with the RTE editor in umbraco 7.1.1

Hi,

Maybe I am missing something but I'm not able to insert a hyperlink or a link to an document from within the Rich Text Editor.

When I click the Inert/edit link button, the dialog appears, I fill in the url in the "Link to document" textbox and select a target. I then click the Select button but nothing appears in my RTE editor.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm using Umbraco 7.1.1. Thanks!

Kind Regards, Gert De Ceuster

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 20:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gert

That's really odd - I've seen another issue about this and I have tried to see if I could recreate this issue myself but with no luck.

My installation was Umbraco 7.1.1 running IIS express / CE SQL database and I'm using Chrome as a browser.

What are yours? It's essential to get to the bottom of this potential issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 20:38
    Tom Fulton

Are you using IE by chance, and have you tried another browser? There's a bug in v6 with IE11 which causes the exact same behavior - see this issue.

Unfortunately there's no fix that I'm aware of yet. Jan, do you think we need to change the status of that issue?

Apr 24, 2014 @ 20:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tom

Was not aware of the issue but if it turns out that it's happening in IE10+ then we should do it since all freelancers, agencies etc. will have clients that use these browsers and I don't think that's something HQ will ignore - But they can't fix what they don't know :)

But it's weird...the other day I was trying to help another guy who said that he saw the same behaviour in multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox and IE)...and they could not insert images either.

Perhaps I should try giving it a spin in IE11 to see if I get the same issue.

/Jan

Apr 24, 2014 @ 20:51
    Gert

@Tom, I tested it in IE 10 and the latest version of chrome and firefox but neither work. I am able to insert images though. @Jan, I'm also running IIS express with CE SQL database.

Thanks, Gert

Apr 24, 2014 @ 20:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gert

What operating system are you using?

/Jan

Apr 24, 2014 @ 20:54
    Gert

I'm using Windows 8.

Apr 24, 2014 @ 21:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gert

Ok...I have tried recreating the issue on windows 8 as well but it worked fine.

Can you try to see what happens in your browsers console log when you insert a link? Does it throw a javascript error? If so...what does it say?

If no errors are shown in the console log could you then go to /app_data/logs and see if anything is logged with "ERROR" in the trace?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Apr 24, 2014 @ 21:18
    Gert

Hi Jan,

Strangely enough now it seems to work, I realy don't know what I did to make it work. Allthough in IE it has some strange behaviour. When I select a word in a paragraph, the whole paragraph is converted into a hyperlink instead of the selected words. In Chrome it seems to work OK no too.

Gert.

Apr 24, 2014 @ 21:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gert

That's really odd. Don't know if it's perhaps a strange caching issue perhaps?

But good it's working...annoying that we can't figure out what is causing it.

Did you have the console log open when it started working?

/Jan

Apr 24, 2014 @ 21:27
    Gert

Jan,

I had the console window open but there were no errors showing up.

Regards, Gert

Apr 24, 2014 @ 21:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gert

Ok - but if it has been configured to disable the cache when dev tools / console log is open then thay may be the explanation to why it started working when you tried inserting links with it open.

/Jan

• Carlos Gómez 25 posts 55 karma points
    Feb 06, 2015 @ 08:24
    Carlos Gómez

Hello

i am experiencing the same problem, but I tried in IE 9, Firefox 35.0.1 and Chrome 40.0.2214.94 m

Trying to insert a link, I complete the info with :  http://www.google.com testing Open same window and click "Insert" but doing nothing.

What could it be?

Images are inserting fine.

Regards.

• Carlos Gómez 25 posts 55 karma points
    Feb 06, 2015 @ 17:55
    Carlos Gómez

Actually my problem is in 7.2.2

Any idea? Am I missing a script?  Not showing errors... actually it is not doing anything when clicking to insert the link.

• Kelly 1 post 21 karma points
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 05:47
    Kelly

I am having the same problem too. I am using version 7.2.2 (but was also experiencing same issue in version 7.2.1).

Using IE 11 select insert link in the rich text editor, fill in the link details e.g www.goodle.com, title and target then click Select. After I click select the panel with all the link details (on the right hand side) closes and i am returned to the rich text editor but there is no link inserted. There are no scripting errors or any other sort of errors showing in the developer console.

I also tried using firefox but that doesn't work well enough to even show the rich text editor, all I get is a plain text box containing the html so there is no way to click the insert link button.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 08:19
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Kelly and welcome to our.

I have just tried to insert a link into the rich text editor, and it´s right that you can´t see that the link is being inserted. But when you have clicked select in content menu, But if you are writing in the rich text editor after you have inserted the link the it will be the text for the link.

Maybe this is not clear or intuitively enough that you need to wirte a text for the link. Therefor I think that you should add your experience with the insert link option in the rich text editor, so the HQ knows there might be something that needs to be improved. You can create an issue on the issue tracker here. http://issues.umbraco.org

When you have created it, please link to it, in this thread so other that came accross this post can vote for it.

Hope this helps and make sense.

/Dennis

• Nick 34 posts 127 karma points
    Jul 14, 2016 @ 10:51
    Nick

I am getting this issue when trying to link to a file in the media tree via the 'Select FIle' option in the RTE's insert link dialog.

The Url property of the link is not being updated when a file is selected.

I am running Umbraco 7.3.5

Link Dialog

• Roland Bernier 3 posts 73 karma points
    Oct 19, 2016 @ 14:41
    Roland Bernier

I got the same problem with Umbraco version : 7.4.3 and Internet Explorer 11 (it works in Chrome for me)

My reproduction steps :

1) Open Umbraco back-end with Internet Explorer 11

2) Click Insert/edit Ling in the RTE toolbar (TinyMCE)

3) Click Link to file

The filter text stay there and I can add text but nothing is found.

If I click cancel and try it again, it works.

Notice : I got that jquery error with Inspector (hit F12): Insufficient stack

space on files : jquery.min.js and tinymce.min.js

I got overflow errors also.

• Emiel 31 posts 124 karma points
    Nov 07, 2016 @ 08:00
    Emiel

I'm actually having the same issue - Once I have selected some text I want to use as a link and use the Insert/edit link tool all the input fields are non responsive until I close and try it again.

enter image description here

• Thomas 315 posts 602 karma points c-trib
    Sep 29, 2017 @ 08:40
    Thomas

Did you found a solution? I have sort of the same problem in 7.7.1. When I mark a text and click "insert link" the side panel first load when I click another buttons ex. "Bold"..

• Benjamin Stengaard 27 posts 141 karma points
    Oct 17, 2017 @ 11:36
    Benjamin Stengaard

Is there a solution for this problem, problem is stil there in 7.7.1 ?

• K.Garrein 164 posts 629 karma points
    Oct 25, 2017 @ 13:12
    K.Garrein

I have a customer that also has this problem.

She can not insert file links and tried on multiple computers.

I tried on different computers too, but it works fine for me...

Umbraco version 7.6.3 assembly: 1.0.6361.21154

Any progress on this? Is there a know bug or anything?

Thanks!

• Malte 7 posts 107 karma points
    Jan 11, 2018 @ 09:45
    Malte

In Version 7.7.1 i got the same Problem with not beeing able to insert a link until i click on "bold" or something else.

• Spearmint 3 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 29, 2018 @ 09:16
    Spearmint

I have a similar problem; I can only link to images, and not PDF's for instance.

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/90263-unable-to-link-to-pdfs-in-rich-text-edtior

• Malte 7 posts 107 karma points
    Mar 01, 2018 @ 10:52
    Malte

I just found a "solution", it is more of a workaround but it works for me.

In your Project Folder look for the File "Umbraco/js/umbraco.controller.js" Open the File and go to Line 14988 the function should look like this (first code example)

tinyMceService.createLinkPicker(editor, $scope, function (currentTarget, anchorElement) {
                        $scope.linkPickerOverlay = {
                            view: 'linkpicker',
                            currentTarget: currentTarget,
                            show: true,
                            submit: function (model) {
                                tinyMceService.insertLinkInEditor(editor, model.target, anchorElement);
                                $scope.linkPickerOverlay.show = false;
                                $scope.linkPickerOverlay = null;
                            }
                        };
                    });

And now add in this function after the variable gets assigned the call "$scope.digest()"

Now it should look like this

tinyMceService.createLinkPicker(editor, $scope, function (currentTarget, anchorElement) {
                        $scope.linkPickerOverlay = {
                            view: 'linkpicker',
                            currentTarget: currentTarget,
                            show: true,
                            submit: function (model) {
                                tinyMceService.insertLinkInEditor(editor, model.target, anchorElement);
                                $scope.linkPickerOverlay.show = false;
                                $scope.linkPickerOverlay = null;
                            }
                        };
                        //trigger change detection workaround
                        $scope.$digest();
                    });

I now this is not the best way and most important as soon as you update your Umbraco Version the file gets replaced and you have to redo the workaround if it is still needed.

• Stefano Beretta 101 posts 246 karma points
    Dec 04, 2018 @ 10:20
    Stefano Beretta

Hi!

I know it's a bit old, but have this issue been solved? I'm using U7.12.4 but that error is still there.

I don't know if it's useful, but it occurs only if the umbraco user ISN'T an Admin.

I also tried to set various permissions combinations, unsuccessfully.

Have a nice day

S

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft