Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bart Mowrey 2 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 23:20
    Bart Mowrey

new user; many, many problems

environment: 2008 server, 7.1.1 umbraco.

I had begun with 2003 server and umb 6 a few weeks ago. Due to the many and inexplicable issues i was experiencing with ysods and failure after failure, i blew it down and started over w a 2008 VE and reinstalled. The vanilla install was a failure out of the gate as some dll was missing necessitating a few hours googling the solution that the reporting editor had to be installed as well as a few other packages. OK fine. finally when the installation was allowed to take place without failing, i thought i was in the clear for a while.

It seems as if any tiny action i take, something breaks. For example:i added a bind tuning skin, skin reassignment fails to render, then selecting the installed packages root node results in

Is this the way things will continue to be? Constant breakage through what one would assume are normal processes? Ill take the blame for whatever stupid things i do, but these are not stupid, uninformed shotgun blasts, but small normal things anyone who is building a site does.
  • Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 23:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bart and welcome to our :)

I'm sad to hear that you have had a bad experience starting out using Umbraco. That's not ideal in anyway.

However I would like to know what kind of packages you have tried using and what kind of errors you have been getting? There are many packages that are only compatible with version 4 and 6 of Umbraco and if installed on v7 it will fail.

How did you install Umbraco btw? Did you have a look at the official documentation on installing? http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/

In regards to package compatibility you can see, which packages that should currently be safe to use here http://our.umbraco.org/Projects/ProjectsVersioned?v=700 and here http://our.umbraco.org/Projects/ProjectsVersioned?v=710

If you encounter weird behavior doing simple things the community and HQ would be very thankful if you would take some time to report bugs and feature requests on the issue tracker.

Looking forward to hearing from you and hope some of the above pointers helps a bit.

Cheers, Jan

• Bart Mowrey 2 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 25, 2014 @ 01:17
    Bart Mowrey

HI Jan- Ive gone through every bit of documentation for umbraco, short of developer stuff. I used the WebPI installer and only installed the business site template, txt template and image resizer. For the sake of comparison, I just installed Joomla in under 30 minutes with a lousy 1.5 MB connection and had it running, where umbraco took literally, all day to install and sort out problems to even get a page to render. failing almost immediately thereafter. I dont mean to be disprepectful of what appears to be a soon to be good product, but it has cost me more time than i can ever justify to get it running, without even being able to populate it.

At this point im calling it a loss and wish you all the best

Bart

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 28, 2014 @ 13:23
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hey Bart,

It's unfortunate that you've had such a bad experience. I should point out that Umbraco 7 will not work on VS2008 as it does not support .NET 4.5. Here's documentation for the system requirements: http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/system-requirements

Can you tell me what "the reporting editor" is, that doesn't sound familiar to me?

You can download VS2013 express for free, which should solve a lot of your problems.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft