Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• lance lyons 6 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 29, 2014 @ 03:41
    lance lyons

going from Umbraco 7.0x to Umbraco 6

Hi,

We made a miscalcuation in developing around Umbraco 7 when we had a number of customers that still use IE 8 and IE9.   Since Umbaco does not support any below IE10, we need to consider rolling back our development efforts and use Umbraco 6.

Is this easy to do?   what is the best way of doing this?  Just start over?

Thanks any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Lance

• Daniel Harris 33 posts 94 karma points
    Apr 29, 2014 @ 17:30
    Daniel Harris

Depending on how much you have done, it may be easiest to do a fresh install of Umbraco 6 and then re-create your document types.

May be possible to write some sort of migration application to move the content from one install to another, but I have not seen anything available that will do this for you.

Out of interest, what part of Umbraco doesn't work in IE9, is it just the back office you have problems with? If so could your customers not use an alternative browser to make their content changes? (Depending on who your customers are I can see they may not want to do this).

If possible I would ask them to update their browser or use an alternative, I can't think why the live site itself wouldn't work across browsers as long as you build it to support them.

• Dan 43 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 29, 2014 @ 18:10
    Dan

Yeah, give all the editors iPads :)

• lance lyons 6 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 29, 2014 @ 18:12
    lance lyons

Hi Daniel,  Thanks for the response.   When I initially went to our site with IE 9 after upgrading from IE8 (which had obvious formatting issues), I noticed formatting issues with 9 initially.   However, I am no longer able to reproduce these so I am beginning to think I had some left over bad data cached.

At this point I dont see any issues.    Do you know if the back office part is the only thing not working with IE9?  Are there any known format issues with IE 9 and Umbraco 7.x?

Thanks again.

• Daniel Harris 33 posts 94 karma points
    Apr 30, 2014 @ 16:33
    Daniel Harris

I haven't seen any problems in IE9 personally, so was surprised to find you were having some.

I wouldn't expect those versions earlier than IE9 to necessarily be supported, but I've not used IE8 for a long time.

Since IE9 it's really been a much better browser, and 9-11 all seem to work fine for me with any Umbraco version i've tried from 4 to 7.

In terms of how the front end of your site turns out in the various browsers, that's really down to the developers building it. You could build a site that supports any browser, same as you can with a stand alone .NET application. Using Umbraco 7 in itself won't dictate directly which users can access your site properly.

Not sure what could have caused the initial problems when you installed IE9. I run IE11 on all my windows machines except for one that is still on IE9, mainly for compatibility with a HR system (Which I'm sure would work in 10 and 11 too).

• TSP 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 30, 2014 @ 14:14
    TSP

We're exactly in the same boat now. We've already developed the app in Umbraco 7 and now are faced with supporting IE8.

Has any one successfully managed to do this? Or do we have to downgrade to Umbraco 6.x?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Nov 30, 2014 @ 15:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi TSP and welcome to our :)

Since Umbraco 7 is not guaranteed to work in IE lower than 10 as mentioned in the documentation last on this page http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/system-requirements I doubt than anyone have had success making Umbraco 7 work in IE8.

So depending on the size of the project and the budget downgrading might be an option - But what is the main reason that you need to support IE8? Is it because it's the default browser used in the company? If so...would it be possible to get them upgraded to using IE10 at least? Or perhaps convince them to use another browser like Chrome, Firefox, Safari or even Opera? I know it might not be that easy du to potential corporate policies etc. but I think it's worth the try since it would be really simple to have the clients editors switch browser rather than doing a downgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jan

• TSP 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 30, 2014 @ 15:54
    TSP

Thanks Jan for the speedy reply. 

This is actually our second project using Umbraco and we were very happy with the results of the first one. 

Yep, I have seen the requirements (unfortunately too late) and been trying to get it to work on IE8, but way too many hacks seem to be required. 

The organization which will be using the app is still on IE8 and they cannot upgrade browsers unless it's part of a company-wide upgrade policy. 

I'm going to try and concince them to use portable chrome; but I wanted to check if anyone had successfully gotten Umbraco 7 to work on IE8. 

If not, we'll have to redo this using Umbraco 6. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft