Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• pieter van Uhm 23 posts 49 karma points
    Apr 29, 2014 @ 14:22
    pieter van Uhm

Problem with content tree missing

Hi,

In a very unknow reason my content tree disappeard, and i also cannot add a new page because im getting this error:

Error:

Failed to retrieve data for a node's menu -1

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 

Stack Trace: 

at Umbraco.Web.Trees.ContentTreeController.PerformGetMenuForNode(String id, FormDataCollection queryStrings)
       at Umbraco.Web.Trees.ContentTreeControllerBase.GetMenuForNode(String id, FormDataCollection queryStrings)
       at Umbraco.Web.Trees.TreeControllerBase.GetMenu(String id, FormDataCollection queryStrings)
       at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass13.b__c(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.Execute(Object instance, Object[] arguments)
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.<>c__DisplayClass5.b__4()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskHelpers.RunSynchronously[TResult](Func`1 func, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

Can someone please help me, im cracking my brains on it.. :(

thnx!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 29, 2014 @ 14:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Pieter

What version of Umbraco 7 are you using?

When did this start to happen? Is it on a fresh install or has it been running for a while?

Have you installed some 3rd party packages etc?

Is it a local installation or is it installed on a server?

It could also be a permission issue.

Please ellaborate a bit more since that will make it easier to help you out.

/Jan

Apr 29, 2014 @ 14:42
    pieter van Uhm

Hi Jan,

Thnx for the quick response but in some really strange way it works again..

i im using Umbraco version 7.1.1 assembly: 1.0.5211.22376. and i have no packages or something installed.

It was a local project but database is on the server.

I really dont get why it was but for now it is fixed.

thnx!

Apr 29, 2014 @ 15:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Pieter

Could perhaps be some downtime on the database server perhaps?

Do you have a webhost or are you hosting yourself or what is your setup?

Glad that it's working again btw! :)

/Jan

Apr 29, 2014 @ 15:57
    pieter van Uhm

hi jan,

our hosting is @ leaseweb.com but downtime is not possible because the website was accesible, and was working properly.

but im happy thats it works again :)!

thnx!

• Alex Prober 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 05, 2014 @ 10:35
    Alex Prober

I am having the same problem. No idea how to make it work? Any idea?

May 05, 2014 @ 10:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Alex and welcome to our :)

Could you provide us with some more information?

What version of Umbraco are you running? What database are you using? Do you see the issue on a local installation or is it on the server it acts up? Is it running on shared hosting or a dedicated server?

Cheers, Jan

May 05, 2014 @ 10:44
    Alex Prober

Hello Jan.

Thanks for the quick reply. My details:

I am running

Umraco Version 7.1.1 assembly 1.0.5220.2185 with SQL Server CE installed on my local computer ( just started developing ).

I am running the generic sample it came with, started working on the HTML and layout and suddenly it stopped working.

Nothing was changed in the Umbraco itself since it worked. I also tried restarting the IIS and recompiling - nothing helped.

I looked at the firebug and saw you make an ajax call to this link:

http://localhost:39738/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoTrees/ContentTree/GetMenu?id=-1&application=content&tree=&isDialog=false

This is the exception:

)]}',
    {"Message":"An error has occurred.","ExceptionMessage":"Object reference not set to an instance of an object.","ExceptionType":"System.NullReferenceException","StackTrace":"   at Umbraco.Web.Trees.ContentTreeController.PerformGetMenuForNode(String id, FormDataCollection queryStrings)\r\n   at Umbraco.Web.Trees.ContentTreeControllerBase.GetMenuForNode(String id, FormDataCollection queryStrings)\r\n   at Umbraco.Web.Trees.TreeControllerBase.GetMenu(String id, FormDataCollection queryStrings)\r\n   at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )\r\n   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass13.<GetExecutor>b__c(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)\r\n   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.Execute(Object instance, Object[] arguments)\r\n   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.<>c__DisplayClass5.<ExecuteAsync>b__4()\r\n   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskHelpers.RunSynchronously[TResult](Func`1 func, CancellationToken cancellationToken)"}
    May 05, 2014 @ 11:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Alex

Ok, it might be a caching issue...

Could you try doing the following

1: In your web.config set debug to "true" 2: Open Umbraco in Chrome with the console log open (Make sure the console log is clearing the browser cache when it's open) and then refresh your browser window.

If that does not work then please try this

1: Go to the /app_data/TEMP/ClientDependency folder and delete all the files 2: Go to /config/ClientDependency.config and increment the version number (There is a version attribute on one of the elements). 3: Recycle your app pool and try again.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

May 05, 2014 @ 11:28
    Alex Prober

Tried both things and restarted the computer. Same issue...

May 05, 2014 @ 11:30
    Alex Prober

SOLVED IT!!

Damn. It was because of uComponents, they are not compatibale with the Umraco7 and they crushed the tree for some reason :)

Thanks for the help.

May 05, 2014 @ 11:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Alex

Yes, uComponents is not compatible with v7 - but keep an eye out for "nuComponents", which is "New uComponents" where most property editors will be converted for Umbraco 7.

Glad you figured it out and thanks for sharing :)

/Jan

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    May 10, 2014 @ 01:03
    Craig Cronin

Thanks all, just had the same problem and came across this post....thought I had to rebuild!!!!!

• Jonas 123 posts 206 karma points
    Dec 05, 2014 @ 09:57
    Jonas

We had uComponents on a 6 installation, we uninstalled it, and then upgraded to 7, and we have this issue when trying to access user accounts in the backoffice.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft