Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Church 6 posts 51 karma points
    Apr 29, 2014 @ 16:26
    Rob Church

What's the difference between "Update" and "Save and send for approval"?

I'm working out the workflow for a site at the moment, and when I give users the Update permission, they can save changes that don't get reflected on the site and I get a lovely icon on the tree that shows there's a change that isn't published. (Sometimes at least - I was getting a little green mark in the corner, I do the same thing and now the icon goes grey as if it was unpublished)... anyway, the point was that there's a visual notification and I can use rollback to see what the changes actually were and ignore them if I don't like them.

If I have a user who can only "save and send for approval" / "Send to Publish", then the save they made doesn't come up in the rollback list and there's no visual notification in the tree. In fact, although I can see their content in the editor, if I try and rollback to the most recent version no changes are displayed in the diff.

So what's the expected usage case for these two different permissions? How should I be using them? I can't find anything useful in the documentation - so will fill that out if I can get a clear idea of what should be there.

(For some reason the approval e-mail is not sent out, but I've not debugged that yet - it could be my settings, it could be bug U4-4573).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft