Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robin Nicholl 137 posts 277 karma points
    May 01, 2014 @ 18:03
    Robin Nicholl

Load balancing Umbraco 7

Is this possible with Umbraco 7? I tried it (using a single-server setup like that used by Per in this video, effectively just mimicing a load balanced scenario) but nothing happens to the other sites when the admin site is updated: the distributed call(s) doesn't seem to be working.

I then tried it with a clean install of Umbraco 6, going through exactly the same steps, and it worked fine. So I then removed the first U7 attempt completely and started again, but still it doesn't work.

It's running on a small (free) AWS instance, and I'm just doing it as a 'proof of concept' excercise: the final implemenation would probably be somewhere like a Rackspace managed cloud. I have done this before on a production site, but this was U4.5 and a year or so ago.

So, just to be clear, this isn't an issue with load balancing per se (I haven't got that far yet), but with the distributedCall feature within Umbraco 7.

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 01, 2014 @ 18:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robin

Don't know if you have seen the load balancing documentation as well?

I'm confident that load balancing should be supported in Umbraco 7 - But I'm not sure if there for some reason is/are some undicovered bugs when trying to do it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

• Robin Nicholl 137 posts 277 karma points
    May 01, 2014 @ 18:48
    Robin Nicholl

Thanks Jan

Well, according to Google I've visited that page 17 times! I've tried to follow it as much as possible but, as I said, I'm trying to prove to myself that it works by repeating Pers' demo from the video, which runs 3 'pretend' load-balanced sites fed by one admin site. There's no actual load balancing in play, and all the 'sites' are local on 127.0.0.1 with the necessary bits in the hosts file and the distributedCalls section in umbracoSettings.config

I've tried it again in both 6 and 7 (just in case I missed something), but still it works fien in 6 but not at all in 7.

Unfortunately I can't continue using 7 unless/until I'm confident that load balancing will work.

Robin

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 01, 2014 @ 19:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robin

Ok, if it does not work then it's something that should be reported on the issue tracker since this should be working.

/Jan

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 01, 2014 @ 19:25
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just to clarify, the documentation that Jan referred to is THE way to do it and is tested and supported in v7. Any other way will work for demo purposes, not for real life scenarios. No need to create issues on the tracker for it, we know other scenarios do not work and we're working on making that better but it's not going to happen very soon. :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft