Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• thomas seyssens 20 posts 70 karma points
    May 07, 2014 @ 09:23
    thomas seyssens

Server error: Contact administrator, see log for full details.

Hi, 

I have a problem with publishing new content to my live-Umbraco website.
    On local, it works like a charm, absolutely no problem with adding content and changing content.
    On the live-version: When i add or change content, i get the error above.
    Anyone know what the problem might be? Normally Umbraco has access to the necessary files.

Thomas

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 07, 2014 @ 09:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Thomas

What version of Umbraco are you using?

And how has the live-instance been setup? Is it running on shared hosting or a dedicated server you control yourself?

I suspect it's a permission issue on the server.

/Jan

• thomas seyssens 20 posts 70 karma points
    May 07, 2014 @ 09:43
    thomas seyssens

Hi, 

i found what the problem was.
    I forgot to give network Service modify rights on the umbraco.config file.

Now it's fixed. Thanks anyway for the help!

Thomas 

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    May 12, 2014 @ 11:29
    Craig100

Wish it was that easy. V7.1.2. Client has just pointed it out. Ok on Dev, not on live. Have checked all permissions iaw http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions which is probably outdated now. Where is the log the error mesage mentions?

Craig

May 12, 2014 @ 11:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

You should have a look in the documentation here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/permissions - However these pages actually seem identical. But it should still hold true. Could it be permissions on the database level perhaps?

What does the trace log say if you look in /app_data/logs ?

Is the live site running on a dedicated server or is it running on shared hosting? Are all dependencies installed on the server? http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/installation/system-requirements

And what software is the server running? (Both web and database).

/Jan

May 12, 2014 @ 11:40
    Craig100

Think I found the log AppData/logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt. Says everything was saved. Why then does the editor get a message saying it wasn't?

May 12, 2014 @ 11:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

Good question...not sure what is going on.

How did you do the initial deploy? Any stuff from the /app_data/TEMP folder copied from local to live?

/Jan

May 12, 2014 @ 11:54
    Craig100

I restored the upgraded DB from dev, the copied up the Bin, Config, umbraco, umbraco_client directories and web.config file.  I've just rebuilt the examine indexes and deleted the Temp/client dependency files. Also cleared the browser cache.

May 12, 2014 @ 11:55
    Jan Skovgaard

...But still getting the error?

/Jan

May 12, 2014 @ 12:03
    Craig100

Yes, still getting the error.

May 12, 2014 @ 12:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Have you checked the database security settings?

/Jan

May 12, 2014 @ 19:20
    Craig100

No because they shouldn't have changed. I've only done what I've done several times before with other upgrades on the same site. Generally I took a back up of the working dev DB and uploaded it to live.  Generally if there's an issue with security the site won't run at all, in dev or live. Live is sitting on shared hosting which seems to work every time if it works on dev.  Besides which, the save appears to be saving, we're just getting an erroneous error message.

May 12, 2014 @ 20:14
    Craig100

Membership groups seem to have disappeared also.  When clicking on "Member Groups" I get a constanly flashing blue line and the following message: 

Server error: Contact administrator, see log for full details.
    Failed to retreive data for child nodes undefined

Also if I try to just Save or even Preview a page then I get the original error message.  I'm thinking I shouldn't have upgraded to 7.1.2 on the day it came out as it's obviously not been thoroughly tested.  I'll need to rework the upgrade and stop at 7.1.1 (from 7.0.3).

May 12, 2014 @ 20:21
    Craig100

I should also mention that after you've tried a "Save" or "Save and Publish" the "Preview" and "Save and Publish" buttons are disabled and greyed out. Also, although changes are saved, they're never published.

On my development server, the Save and Publish works correctly but the Preview button does nothing.

Craig

May 12, 2014 @ 20:45
    Craig100

Sorted. Previously I think the advice was to delete the Temp/ClientDependency and Temp/Examine/Index contents. Following advice from Jeavon, I deleted ALL subdirectories of Temp/ and that seems to have sorted all the problems.  

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers,

Craig

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Sep 09, 2016 @ 23:18
    Stephen Davidson

I have been getting the same error in our Live setup (on Azure). I have tried deleting all the folders in Temp but still the same issue? Did you need to restart the server/app?

S

May 12, 2014 @ 22:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

Happy to hear you managed to get it solved and thanks for sharing.

Hmm, I've experienced that simply deleting all folder from the /TEMP/ folder can make Examine hiccup so I usually leave the folders intact while just deleting the files all the way down to the last folder level.

In most cases it's usually enough to delete the ClientDependency files and then incrementing the version number in /config/ClientDependency.config - But sometimes everything should be deleted apparently.

However the important thing is that it's working.

Cheers, Jan

• Stacy Basye 19 posts 80 karma points
    Mar 08, 2015 @ 22:17
    Stacy Basye

Hey guys!

I was having the same problem Craig described -

erver error: Contact administrator, see log for full details.
    Failed to retreive data for child nodes undefined

- except for me it was happening when I tried to get into my doctypes. 

Following advice in this thread, I deleted all subdirectories of TEMP. Now, I still get that error AND I'm getting this when I try to get into my doctypes: 

Server Error in '/' Application.

The best overloaded method match for 'System.Tuple.Tuple(bool?, int?)' has some invalid arguments

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.RuntimeBinderException: The best overloaded method match for 'System.Tuple.Tuple(bool?, int?)' has some invalid arguments

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[RuntimeBinderException: The best overloaded method match for 'System.Tuple.Tuple(bool?, int?)' has some invalid arguments]
       CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Type , Object , Object ) +234
       System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute3(CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1, T2 arg2) +262
       CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Type , Object , Object ) +228
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentTypeQueryMapper.b__c8(Object x) +974
       System.Linq.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext() +103
       System.Linq.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext() +85
       System.Linq.d__81`1.MoveNext() +165
       System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source) +216
       System.Linq.d__0.MoveNext() +110
       System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source) +216
       System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray(IEnumerable`1 source) +77
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentTypeQueryMapper.MapContentTypes(Int32[] contentTypeIds, Database db, IDictionary`2& associatedTemplates, IDictionary`2& parentContentTypeIds) +1609
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentTypeQueryMapper.GetContentTypes(Int32[] contentTypeIds, Database db, TRepo contentTypeRepository, ITemplateRepository templateRepository) +74
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentTypeRepository.PerformGetAll(Int32[] ids) +588
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.RepositoryBase`2.GetAll(TId[] ids) +1545
       Umbraco.Core.Services.ContentTypeService.GetAllContentTypes(Int32[] ids) +63
       umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.SetupCompositionsPane() +251
       umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.OnInit(EventArgs e) +74
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +134
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +290
       System.Web.UI.d__0.MoveNext() +277
       System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) +93
       System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) +52
       System.Web.Util.WithinCancellableCallbackTaskAwaiter.GetResult() +30
       System.Web.UI.d__14.MoveNext() +2353

Any ideas on what I can do about this? I can't edit or create new doctypes while this is going on. =/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft