Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• George 58 posts 165 karma points
    May 07, 2014 @ 10:24
    George

Spell checker for umbraco 7.0.1

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking for a reliable spell checker for Umbraco. We are using version 7.0.1

1. I tried the built-in spell checking functionality of Chrome, but it doesn't work in Umbraco's Tinymce RTE.
    2. I tried a couple of Chrome extensions , but they have the same problem as 1.
    3. I tried installing Hun Spell Checker using the built in package repository of Umbraco, but I get this error right after I click Install:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\Web folders\Udvikling\App_Data\56d9d61b-7384-4f09-861d-5720c10adc78\Hunspellx64.dll' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 
    Exception Details: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\Web folders\Udvikling\App_Data\56d9d61b-7384-4f09-861d-5720c10adc78\Hunspellx64.dll' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
    Source Error: 
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'file:///E:\Web folders\Udvikling\App_Data\56d9d61b-7384-4f09-861d-5720c10adc78\Hunspellx64.dll' could not be loaded.
    WRN: Logføring af assemblybinding er deaktiveret.
    Logføring af assemblybindingsfejl aktiveres ved at angive registreringsdatabaseværdien [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) til 1.
    Bemærk! Ydeevnen forringes ved logføring af assemblybindingsfejl.
    Denne funktion deaktiveres ved at fjerne registreringsdatabaseværdien [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace: 
    [BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\Web folders\Udvikling\App_Data\56d9d61b-7384-4f09-861d-5720c10adc78\Hunspellx64.dll' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.]
       System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) +14799942
       System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type) +622
       Umbraco.Core.Packaging.PackageBinaryInspector.PerformScan(String dllPath, String[]& errorReport) +0
       Umbraco.Core.Packaging.PackageBinaryInspector.ScanAssembliesForTypeReference(String dllPath, String[]& errorReport) +207
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.LoadConfig(String tempDir) +1641
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) +535

[Exception: Error unpacking extension...]
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) +880
       umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1141
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +19
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3178

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18446

Could anyone help me fix that installation error, or suggest an alternative spell checker solution that would work reliably inside TinyMCE RTE in Umbraco?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 07, 2014 @ 11:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi George

As far as I know the spellchecker does not work since Google closed the API access. So I guess it's kinda legacy that the option still exists.

Don't know if the hunspellchecker package for Umbraco 4 and 6 will perhaps work instead. Make sure to download the one for Umbraco 6.1.x since I have an idea it might work on 7 as well.

Perhaps you could give it a try - it's intended by the creator to be a replacement of the Google spellchecker I think. We've used it on some v6 projects and it's been working fine.

Before digging into it make sure to make a backup of both your files and your database.

/Jan

• George 58 posts 165 karma points
    May 07, 2014 @ 11:45
    George

Thanks for the answer Jan,

I can remember the old built-in spellchecker option in tinyMCE but as far as I know it relied on a Google service that got discontinued. 
    I tried setting some spellchecking in my browser (via options>advanced>language) or via different extensions but the problem is they can't spell-check in real time and underline errors while typing inside tinyMCE RTE. Most of our site content is inside tinymce RTE data types so we need a reliable spell checker that would function inside of it.

I tried installing the hunspellchecker package but unfortunately I get the error I posted in my original post as soon as I begin the installation. All the solutions that I could find for that error include rebuilding the package and I have no idea how that would work together with umbraco, which version to use etc.
    That's why I am asking here.

I already have the necessary backups :) 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 07, 2014 @ 11:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi George

Ah, Sorry totally missed the part about then hunspellchecker.

Perhaps see if you can get in touch with the creator of the package in order to see if he has any plans to add support for v7? :)

/Jan

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 17, 2014 @ 06:37
    Robert Foster

Hey guys, I know this thread is old, but thought I'd shed some new light on it.

As of 7.1.4 Umbraco doesn't take kindly to non-Managed DLL's in a package. I haven't yet tested 7.1.5 but I do know the trouble code has changed.

I've managed to hack together a patch for 7.1.4 to address this issue, however got blocked after I managed to successfully install the Hunspellchecker package. Umbraco 7 doesn't have a context menu!

I'm currently looking at writing a plugin for tinyMCE to do the spellcheck in a dialog instead of relying on a context menu, but not 100% certain if that's the correct way to go about it from a UX perspective.

• Adrian Holland 29 posts 106 karma points
    Jul 25, 2014 @ 03:54
    Adrian Holland

Hi Guys,

I just noticed this thread as we are currently upgrading to Umbraco 7 and I thought I'd see if there had been any progress on the internal spell checker.

I see from Roberts comments that the opposite has happened and without a popup menu, it would not be possible to use the Hun spellchecker in it's current form.

We were hoping to make use of the spell check functionality of most modern HTML5 browsers but as we have a corporate imposed requirement to use Firefox (which doesn't support the EN-AU dictionary) may have to revisit the HunSpellChecker for V7.

Robert - I have posted the basic V4/V6 source code for the package on git (Also it's accessible from the project page)

In this post Richard Barg has indicated he's been able to implement support for adding words to the dictionary also, might round out a dialog based tinyMce spellchecker plugin nicely if he can provide the code for that?

Good to hear that some others have gotten mileage out of the HunSpellChecker package - was worth the effort it seems :)

Adrian.

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 28, 2014 @ 03:07
    Robert Foster

Hey,

This post is more about UI alternatives as it seems we've pretty much solved the whole dictionary/spellchecker backend issue.

Several alternatives exist:

1. Dialog box - something simliar to this: http://javascriptspellcheck.com/tinymce-spellchecker/, but with slide in dialog U7-style.
    2. Context Sensitive Toolbar Split|Button with suggestions in the drop-down part
    3. Write our own context-menu TinyMCE spellchecking - kinda like this: http://tinymcespellcheck.com - we'd need to make sure a touch device can access the menu.
    4. ???

At the moment I'm leaning towards option #2.  Suspect words may be automatically scanned (as in the example for option #3) and highlighted (traditional red squiqly line), or alternatively the toolbar button could force a scan.  Or we could do both.

Any other suggestions?

- Rob

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Sep 13, 2014 @ 19:06
    Eric Schrepel

Actually now browsers' built-in spell check functions work within the TinyMCE RTE, so that seems a pretty good replacement for the spell check button.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft