Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Madison James 31 posts 147 karma points
    May 11, 2014 @ 08:53
    Madison James

Links below Home do not display properly in Fresh Install of 7.1.2

I'm new to Umbraco and I have an odd issue that I hope someone can help with. I'm using Windows7 and use VS2012 but have tried testing with Web Matrix and this happens either way.I have installed 7.1.2 and told it to use a starter site and all the pages below Home display properly such as the following http://localhost:50257/services/.When I do a fresh install without a starter site and build everything from the ground up the following link http://localhost:50257/services/ will display a page with no CSS or proper formatting, but http://localhost:50257/services will work perfectly.I have set umbracoUseDirectoryUrls to false in webconfig and the home page links work but the .aspx is added to the end of the page such as http://localhost:50257/services.aspx.I very familiar with MVC but cannot figure out where to look within the umbraco settings if I even knew what was different.The only other difference between the 2 sites structure wise is that I let the starter site use it's own database and I set up a blank db in SQL Express when not choosing to use a starter site.Any ideas or help would be deeply appreciated.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 11, 2014 @ 11:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Madison and welcome to our :)

Could you perhaps try to illustrate your issue using screendumps? I think it will make it a bit more clear what it is you're struggling with currently.

In regards to the css issue you should reference it with an absolute path like <link rel="style" href="/css/mystyle.css" /> for instance.

/Jan

May 13, 2014 @ 09:27
    Madison James

Hi Jan, thanks for the reply. CSS is being referenced absolutely.

This is Home, works fine

This is what I get with umbracoUseDirectoryUrls set to true when I click on a link that goes to content below the home page.

If I remove the trailing slash, the page loads correctly.

If I turn off umbracoUseDirectoryUrls the page will also load correctly from the link but will will have the following url displyed http://localhost:50257/services.aspx.

I also must apologize. This is with 7.1.1. I was downloading 7.1.2 as I was typing out the title and didn't catch it until I saw your response. I am getting ready to try and recreate everything using 7.1.2 and see if there is a difference.

And by the way, this is great software.

Madison

May 13, 2014 @ 09:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Madison

Could you please show a screendump of your templates where you reference the CSS files?

/Jan

May 13, 2014 @ 09:30
    Jan Skovgaard

...Don't think this issue is related to Umbraco or the version you're using. But as soon as you share how you reference your CSS I think we will find a solution.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

May 13, 2014 @ 09:41
    Madison James

Hi Jan,

And another note, I have tried the scripts in both the JS location the template author uses and the default scripts folder. I also have not tried this on our servers yet; I'm only testing on my workstation.

Madison

May 13, 2014 @ 09:44
    Madison James

I also forgot to tell you that I have tried the reference without the tilde

Madison

May 13, 2014 @ 09:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Madison

Well, yeah that is an odd issue. What is your current setting in umbracoUseDirectoryUrls? It should really not matter since this setting is determening how Umbraco should act - it should not influence the loading of your assets.

I assume your folder structure is

Umbraco site - css - js - umbraco_client - umbraco - etc.

Right?

Could you have a look at the trace log at /app_data/logs to see if anything is marked with "ERROR" ?

/Jan

May 13, 2014 @ 10:08
    Madison James

Hi Jan,

It is currently set to true. Yes the folder structure is exactly the same as the starter site. I have looked through the most recent log from today as well as three others from past days and find nothing marked error. There are plenty of start resolution of... and completed resolution of... statements but nothing that appears to be an error.

The reason that I posted this issue was on the off chance that there is something being set during the install of a starter site that I'm not doing during an empty install or if there is some data record that would have a bearing. I have poured over many of the config files looking for a difference but haven't seen anything.

Pretty much just grasping at straws.

Thanks for looking into this, Madison

May 13, 2014 @ 10:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Madsion

Ok, well the issue is pretty weird since it really should just work out of the box. And if it was something everyone was strugling with we would have seen many more posts about this on the forum and probably also a bug report on the issue tracker.

If you have the console log open while browsing your website do you then get any 404 errors on the javascript and css files?

Could you try setting "debug" to true in the web.config? Just search for debug - there should only be 1 hit.

Then try browsing the site again and then try looking the log file once again to see if it contains any entries marked with "ERROR".

Cheers, Jan

May 16, 2014 @ 03:50
    Madison James

Hi Jan,

I gave up and reloaded a starter site so that I could just change out the templates and content and... it exhibited the same problem. So I started picking apart the css and js files since eberything else looked fine.

It turns out that even though the Halcyonic site template I'm wanting to use is from the same developer as the Txt starter site, the config.js file was missing a / at the strike through below.

/* Halcyonic 3.1 by HTML5 UP html5up.net | @n33co Free for personal and commercial use under the CCA 3.0 license (html5up.net/license) */

window._skel_config = {
        preset: 'standard',
        prefix: 'css/style',
        resetCSS: true,
        breakpoints: {
            '1000px': {
                grid: {
                    gutters: 25
                }
            }
        }
    };

window._skel_panels_config = {
        preset: 'standard'
    };

Thanks for your help,

Madison

May 16, 2014 @ 14:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Madison

Good to hear you managed to fix your issue -And thanks for sharing :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft