Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    May 21, 2014 @ 15:48
    Jesper Ordrup

Losing changes with SQL CE and Visual Studio

I just noticed for the second time this month that I lost changes made to the db when I stopped debugging my Umbraco 7.x website using Visual Studio and IIS Express. I think it has happened in ealier versions.

In detail - I added a doctype and created content. Both doctype and data was gone.

Have you experienced this? And maybe even how to avoid? (besides upgrading to sql server)

best
    Jesper

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13632 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    May 21, 2014 @ 15:52
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Jesper,

It is really annoying, I have experienced it myself when I have forgotten the workaround. And that workaround is, to not use IIS Express, instead use a local IIS. I setup .local domains in my hosts file and local IIS and then change VS to use that for debug instead (it needs to run as administrator).

Jeavon

May 21, 2014 @ 16:13
    Jesper Ordrup

Thanks Jeavon for confirming.

Probably it's because when you stop debugging it just quits the is express process not allowing for save data then. I was hoping for a configuration option to ensure changes always is flushed.

Despite my intentions I'm considering SQL express ...

Best Jesper

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13632 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    May 21, 2014 @ 16:20
    Jeavon Leopold

Yeah it is something like that in CE. It does work perfectly if you setup using full IIS locally though.

• Paul Yates 32 posts 86 karma points
    Aug 06, 2014 @ 13:43
    Paul Yates

This has been driving me mad for a while now (i'm using v6).  

I thought i'd cracked it by setting it to False, as it seemed to work for a while then a few days later i still have missing config.

I'm sure it's helped though.. so may be worth anyone else giving it a go (in dev, obviously).

Aug 06, 2014 @ 13:48
    Jesper Ordrup

I also tried XmlCacheEnabled but it didnt seem to help. Anyone else having tried this?

My conclusion for now is that the best thing is to use a local IIS instead of IIS Express as Jeavon suggested. 

best
    Jesper

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft