Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anders Brohäll 295 posts 561 karma points c-trib
    May 27, 2014 @ 10:30
    Anders Brohäll

Upgrading with nuget

Hi all. I'm somewhat annoyed with the scenario when upgrading Umbraco minor versions with Nuget. Well, let me rephrase it, i love it - but i'm annoyed with the config files being overwritten.

The way i'm doing it now is that i open all the files i'm concerned about in VS, telling the IDE not to update them after they've been modified. It does work, but i need to identify and modify all .config changes manually after the installation. I do appreciate the breaking changes-documentation on the release page on http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/, but i'm thinking there must be a better option available.

However, i don't know jack about Nuget... Maybe the update-package can exclude the config files, and only include modifications in external files like web.modifications.config etc. Or is the update-package the same as the install-package? Is Nuget smart enough to identify what version we're upgrading from to identify changes between various minors?

It would be nice to slipstream the upgrading work flow.

How do you guys upgrade as per now? Is there any better/more efficient way doing it?

• Lars-Erik Aabech 349 posts 1100 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    May 27, 2014 @ 10:56
    Lars-Erik Aabech

If you use source control, you can undo the overwritten files under /config, and merge your web config.
    If you don't use source control, you should. :)

I agree it's a bit annoying, but it's only a 5 minute job when you "do it right".

(For majors, you should merge /config too so you know you don't throw out important changes)

May 27, 2014 @ 11:06
    Anders Brohäll

Well, the question isn't really about source control, but yes, we do use source control : ) What i want to achieve is rather that the files doesn't get overwritten at all.

The real problem is when a project is missing a few minors. Lets say a 7.0.0 site that's upgrading to 7.1.3. Missing the 'Move appSettings/connectionStrings back to web.config' in v7.0.3 would be catastrophic. Of course i will get an application error telling me that something is wrong, but it will take a lot of time debugging it if the developer didn't read all release notes for all minors.

There must be a better way!

May 27, 2014 @ 11:25
    Lars-Erik Aabech

There's a policy not to do that big changes in minors, so I'm guessing someone is kind of sorry for doing it in 7.0.3. :)
    Mostly it's not changed at all, I usually just do said procedure.

However, I hope that HQ will start using XDT to transform the config files instead some time in the future.
    When thinking about it, I went and created a feature request. :)
    Not quite sure of the implications though, but go vote, and we'll see if it sparks a discussion.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4996

May 27, 2014 @ 11:33
    Anders Brohäll

There you go. : )

May 27, 2014 @ 11:48
    Lars-Erik Aabech

@cultiv is already on it. :)
    Case closed!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: