Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan 50 posts 174 karma points
    Jun 02, 2014 @ 21:26
    Johan

Turning on registration of new members?

I am a converted DotNetNuke to Umbraco developer and in DotNetNuke there was an out of the box way to accept (or turn on) user/member registrations. Umbraco is so much better to deal with and develop with but maybee I have found that little thing DotNetNuke was better at. Is there as easy way to switch on member/user registrations in Umbraco?

/Johan

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 10:16
    Steve Morgan

Are you looking for controls / a page to register and login and log out for members? I think the answer is to use a package - possibly Contour?

I was helping someone on this forum with some basic queries and it ended up as this so I started looking at this using the built in snippets (with the idea that I could add this to official documentation or just as a blog post). I wondered if this was possible without delving into code. 

Out of the box in core you can create Partial View Macros and select snippets for the following (naming them something similar)

• Login
    • Register
    • Login Status

Then you create corresponding content pages and insert these macros (e.g. on the Register template add  @Umbraco.RenderMacro("Register") and @Umbraco.RenderMacro("LoginStatus") to your master template in the header / footer as appropriate to give members a log out button. 

Whilst answering trying to help Maxim http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/53194-Need-some-help-)?p=2#comment185410 I've added some Razor amendments to give a login link when the member is not logged in and tried to make the login page redirect to the requested page after a successful login as out of the box it redirects to the login page?!

What I've found is that it doesn't quite work as a full solution - I couldn't find how you add members automatically to a group (allowing them access to protected areas without editor intervention). 

It seems you either need to write your own Controller or use Contour  - would be interested to hear your findings on this.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft