Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Inx51 54 posts 107 karma points
    Jun 02, 2014 @ 23:56
    Inx51

Azure SQL and Umbraco seems to be really slow.. any cache api to use?

Hi! I have a problem where Im using Azure SQL, and there seems to be a serious performance issue.. or hopefully its just me doing it wrong.. Since the database is centralized each single request is very expensive and in really bad cases the response-time from the Azure SQL might be as much as 300ms+... so as mentioned.. each request/query is expensive as far as performance and "response-time" goes.

However.. I currently have a need of giving my images all over the site an alt-text.. which I created a custom property called "Description" and assigned that property to the Image-Media-Type..

Now I do have a few pages with multiple images... sometimes 30+ images.. and Im currently fetching the value of Description by doing the following:

var media = UmbracoContext.Current.MediaCache.GetById(mediaid);
    var image = new UDevImageModel();
    image.Description = (string)media.GetPropertyValue("Description");

Each single time I hit .GetPropertyValue that seems to generate a database-query.. am I missing something here?.. or is there anyway to read Description-value from any sort of cache?..

I have also noticed how there seems to be a lot of other calls against the database.. which I will try to break down into smaller pieces and I might report em here (Another thread or a CR) for HQ to fix.. since during the weeks I have spent in Azure, I have learned one things.. and that is that sure it scales nice.. but the latency is a bitc* :).

Br, Inx

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 14:46
    Mike Chambers

you could use the examine index?

couple of threads in the forums, but can't put my finger on them at present.. an old goto of mine was http://shazwazza.com/post/Ultra-fast-media-performance-in-Umbraco

• Inx51 54 posts 107 karma points
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 23:58
    Inx51

Aha, thank you.. seems more valid to only use examine as the "api of choice" in Umbraco than using the "actual" api.. sort of OP, but do you think that would be possible?.. Im not so very familiar with examine yet, but will look into it much more further down the road..

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft