Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mike s 1 post 31 karma points
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 18:29
    mike s

Simple question regarding templates/doc types

I am a new user, using umbraco 7 (latest install) and I am pretty much fighting newbie-itis issues.  I do have a subscription to umbraco.tv, but that isn't helping me with my current issue.  I have basically a list of venues that i've created a doc type for and no problem there.  So the template I get will properly display a single venue.  But what if I want to list all of these?  I have two needs:  1) a page that has a dropdown that is populated with the list of venues in a form that gets submitted and 2)  another page that has content that display a nice formatted list of the venues.

I guess my question is do I need another document type for the list of venues?  And how do I go about displaying?  I'm using the razor Mvc engine.

Another unrelated questions:  I installed manually and would prefer to use visual studio but there is no solution file. Is this an unusual request?  Do I need to use webmatrix? I'd prefer not to and I'm sure others are using VS.  But do I need to download the latest from the repository to accomplish this?

Thanks for helping a frustrated but eager new user.

Mike

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Jun 05, 2014 @ 02:13
    gary

Hi Mike 

Will try to help you with some - 

If you see that you can use a list view on a doctype, this will list child pages in the tree, so a doctype of venues, child-nodes of venue(the one you made already) will mean, that on the parent node, venues, you can foreach on the children to display your list, however you want.

@foreach (var item in CurrentPage.Children)

{

@item.VenueName

@item.VenueAddress

}

This is using the dynamic. I'm suggesting you may have property Alias, like the above, but they need to be exact as written on the document type, in the Alias field. Would suggest you have a look at the templates in the txt starter package, this will help you as a reference, and is good use of Partial VIews,

To get this I use VS, Open new project, MVC4 Web application, blank. Open then you have a project.

Then right click on title, manage NuGet Packages, Search for Umbraco, install, follow instructions, accept licence, overwrite web config. Once install finished, read the readMe about upgrades, it is worth it, first time, then hit CTRL+F5, this will take you to the database install. Follow instructions, and when finished, there you have Umbraco in Visual Studio. At the moment the starter package is installed automatically, but I suggest keep this one for reference, but do the above again, and then simply go to Developer Tab, Packages, Installed packages, click txtStarterKit, unistall, and you have a complete bank, but ready to go Umbraco and Visual Studio Project.

For the dropdown, create a property editor (on developer tab), you will see the options, pick which is easiest for you to achieve you end result. Once you have the Property editor you can add it to any doctype you want, so home page or venues page or anywhere you like.

Sorry for not making a "complete" answer, but hope this gets you to the next stage, the VS should help you see the overall project in familiar surroundings.

Good luck, if you have more specific issues as you move forward, post again, always someone here to help.

Gary

• Mike Stephenson 7 posts 28 karma points
    Jun 05, 2014 @ 04:00
    Mike Stephenson

Gary - thanks for spending the time for the thorough answer.  Regarding the VS setup, it works fine up until I launch (CTRL-F5) and I get an error message:

CS1703: An assembly with the same identity 'System.Net.Http, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' has already been imported. Try removing one of the duplicate references.

Have you encountered this?  I've tried messing with the bindingRedirect web.config entries but not getting any place.  There is only one System.Net.Http reference and it's version 2.0.0.0.  My web project is .net 4.0 and I'm using VS 2012.

• Mike Stephenson 7 posts 28 karma points
    Jun 05, 2014 @ 04:05
    Mike Stephenson

actually got this to work - changed target framework to 4.5.

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Jun 05, 2014 @ 11:17
    gary

Hi

Beat me to it, thought it was the 4.5.

Hope it helps

Gary

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft