Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vincent Ashby-Smith 67 posts 196 karma points
    Jun 10, 2014 @ 17:15
    Vincent Ashby-Smith

Images not displaying

Hi all, i have a rather frustrating issue. When inserting images through the Rich Text Editor and then save and publish, the images won't appear in the front end. What's strange is some images appear fine and some don't. There doesn't seem to be any pattern and it's not dependant on the file type, seems to happen to .jpeg's, .gif's and .png's.

Also if i remove the parameters off the image url the image appears, so for example /media/1236/map.png?width=290&height=300

Just to add i'm using Umbraco 7.1.4

Any ideas?

Jun 11, 2014 @ 16:39
    Vincent Ashby-Smith

Any one?

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jun 11, 2014 @ 18:23
    Nicholas Westby

Some questions to help narrow the problem down...

Do you see any errors in the Chrome Inspector console (e.g., a 404 or 500 error)? Does it happen with different browsers (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Safari)? If you upload the image again and insert it in the same way as the previous image, does that still produce the same error? Do the images still fail to appear after you clear your browser cache and recycle your application pool?

Jun 11, 2014 @ 18:32
    Vincent Ashby-Smith

Hi Nicholas, yes sorry should have been a bit more specific.

When inspecting Chrome console, i've got a 500 error (Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)), for the example image in question.

The images won't display in all browsers. I've tried uploading the image again and republishing the page and the image still does not appear. I've tried clearing my cache and recycling my app pool and the image still does not appear.

Jun 11, 2014 @ 18:46
    Nicholas Westby

Interesting. That implies there may be something about that particular image (or images) that may be causing an issue. Do you have any relevant errors in ~/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt?

Jun 11, 2014 @ 18:50
    Vincent Ashby-Smith

The only thing that looks slightly relevant is this:

System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow. at ImageProcessor.Imaging.Quantizer.FirstPass(BitmapData sourceData, Int32 width, Int32 height) at ImageProcessor.Imaging.Quantizer.Quantize(Image source) at ImageProcessor.ImageFactory.FixIndexedPallete() at ImageProcessor.ImageFactory.Save(String filePath) at ImageProcessor.Web.HttpModules.ImageProcessingModule.

Jun 11, 2014 @ 18:56
    Nicholas Westby

Are the problematic images very large? Or maybe they have a different bit-depth? I'm thinking it's a bug with the Umbraco ImageProcessor (new to version 7), but a workaround may be to use smaller images. Not sure that's the problem though... could be a bug with images that have a large variety of colors.

Jun 11, 2014 @ 19:01
    Vincent Ashby-Smith

Nope they are tiny, about 5kb. What i don't understand is if you remove the parameters at the end of the image url then it loads fine.

So for example:

/media/1236/map.png?width=290&height=300 (this won't load)
    /media/1236/map.png (this will load)

Jun 11, 2014 @ 19:20
    Nicholas Westby

The version of Umbraco you are using comes installed with ImageProcessor: http://imageprocessor.org/imageprocessor-web/

The announcement was made here: http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2014/3/20/release-candidates-of-umbraco-710-and-620-now-available.aspx

You have apparently run into a bug. Ideally, you should report the bug here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issues

It would be best if you could attach the problematic image to the bug report (probably best to include it in a zip file).

You might also consider reporting the bug to the ImageProcessor project too: https://github.com/JimBobSquarePants/ImageProcessor/issues

I suspect you aren't seeing an error with the file that doesn't have parameters because that is being served up as a raw file rather than going through ImageProcessor. As a workaround, try saving the image using a different image editor (may not work, but worth a try).

• James Jackson-South 489 posts 1747 karma points c-trib
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 20:38
    James Jackson-South

Yeah, it's a bug but an old one. You're on a 64bit machine and there was an arithmetic error due to the misuse of int on that stack.

If you upgrade imageprocessor via nuget it will go away.

• kiran kumar 3 posts 72 karma points
    Nov 26, 2015 @ 14:17
    kiran kumar

Hi James,

Images added from RTE in (umbraco 7.2.8) not displaying in mobile browsers, so I updated the image processor and image processor web through Nuget as suggested. My local machine is 32 bit and the images are rendering in mobile mode(in safari). Unpublished version is working on 64 bit server as well.Thanks. but when published the site its not working. Can u please let me know what files I need to move. I replaced the image processor and image processor web dll in bin folder from package , now its version 2.3 and web image processor is 4.4. Your help on this is much appreciated.

sorry to edit again.

• kiran kumar 3 posts 72 karma points
    Nov 30, 2015 @ 12:50
    kiran kumar

Hi James,

Fix works on 64 bit machines, we need delete the App_Data folder and run the site.

Thanks Kiran

• James Jackson-South 489 posts 1747 karma points c-trib
    Dec 02, 2015 @ 06:53
    James Jackson-South

Hi Kiran,

Sorry, I didn't see your original message. I'm glad you got it sorted!

Cheers

James

• Nitin Anand 46 posts 178 karma points
    Mar 28, 2018 @ 14:05
    Nitin Anand

we had exactly same problem and restarting server solved our problem.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft