Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Brown 39 posts 80 karma points
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 20:43
    Paul Brown

Structure Advice

Hello All

I seem to always struggle to decide what the best choice is for structuring my sites.

In a news section for example, i understand that you would be best to place all your news stories as nodes below a main news node in your main site. You can provide a summary of each news item on the main page but yet still have indivdual pages for each separarte story.

But for repeating items to be used on one main page I struggle!

For example, what if I have 15 different offices in the UK and I want to show the address & contact details (plus map co-ordinates) for each on one main contact us page. What are my options for structuring this setup?

Same again for creating an employee directory...am I best to create a node for each employee under the main directory page or is something better available to me for this?

Thanks in great anticipation :)

Paul

• Ashley Andersen 45 posts 88 karma points
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 21:34
    Ashley Andersen

We did an employee directory for a client in the past. We did them as separate nodes beneath a main page.

For me, it comes down to the length of fields, and the number of employees. For example, let's say we have 50 employees. Each employee has a field for name, title, headshot, phone, email, and bio. You could structure these on a tab of the main page, but when one employee looks a little like this:

Name
        Title
        Phone
        Email
        Bio

With 50 employees, that would make for a LONG tab on the main page. So I'd make them individual nodes beneath the main page. Plus if we want to add fields later, or an employee quits it's easy to find and remove the node.

If there are only say 5 employees, I would say you could make fields available in the main page, and allow the addition of more as needed. 

• Petr Hruzek 28 posts 100 karma points
    Jun 13, 2014 @ 18:58
    Petr Hruzek

Hello Paul.

For such a scenario when you have variable number of items and you want to list them all at one page I am using Archetype and it works great.

Petr

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft