Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Blom 7 posts 27 karma points
    Jun 13, 2014 @ 20:17
    Blom

MVC to Umbraco MVC Advice

Hi,

So i have been moving over from general MVC to Umbraco MVC, but it is a bit different and raised a few questions.

1. How do you do version control? As it is possible to create view files from the admin panel (Decide that only views are made in visual studio or only in admin panel and use visual studio as pseudo editor for intellisense?) As you suddenly have 2 places they can be made from, one running with "published" data, the other with the source code

2. Can you use sub folders for templates? (Umbraco doesnt seem to see them)

3. Localization/Globalization - I dont mean the content, but more the general stuff such as menu items etc. Back with general mvc i would use resource files, i have seen umbraco have a dictionairy, but looked like it was more for content. But haventh seen the general guideline for it.

4. Currently im making the user login/register views, however looking at the generated examples from umbraco, theres alot of code in view, id like that seperated, is there any way to get around that without manually typing the form names or creating your own controller?

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Jun 14, 2014 @ 14:34
    Steve Morgan

I'll let other answer the first three queries but for 4. have a look at this: http://siempresolutions.co.uk/blog/Umbraco_Members_Protected_Area_of_Website_Part_2_Using_MVCMembers_Controller  - should get you started on your own members controller. 

I wrote it so would appreciate any feedback. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft